Foundation-Less and more

StarviewRidge
Newly Hatched Chick

Foundation-Less and more

Post by StarviewRidge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:28 am

A frame feeder replaces one of the frames and can be filled with syrup. It has 2 tubes that are made of a kind of net so the bees can use it like a ladder of sorts to get down into the feeder. I use at least 2.5 to 1 sugar to water, sometimes heavier...as I found they can add too much moisture to the hive if syrup is any thinner. I couldn't get a pic to post, but here is one attached.

I add the mint EO (just a few drops) to the syrup as it is on the stove, while the sugar is slowly dissolving. I like to make syrup in big batches and then pour off into jugs for easier use when I need it.
Attachments
frame feeder.jpg

StarviewRidge
Newly Hatched Chick

Foundation-Less and more

Post by StarviewRidge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:29 am

Ha! the pic did post after all

SandyM

Foundation-Less and more

Post by SandyM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:05 pm

So they climb down the inside of the tube? Or the sugar sits inside the casing over the tubes? Doesn't sugar invite invasion? Can't you dilute honey with water and add peppermint/spearmint?

Sorry for questions. I read that sugar water in the hives or around the hives invites robbers.

StarviewRidge
Newly Hatched Chick

Foundation-Less and more

Post by StarviewRidge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:34 pm

I haven't had an issue yet, but we are pretty new to this. I wouldn't expect that the hive would be any more succeptible to robbing than if it was honey in the frames...since this feeder goes right inside the box...we put ours in a super, not the brood box. I have some entrance feeders that some red ants took a liking to, plus they were emptying the feeder in a day last year. Another reason I went with the frame feeder.

And yes, they climb down the little net tubes kind of like a ladder.

Bakers Backyard
Newly Hatched Chick

Foundation-Less and more

Post by Bakers Backyard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:09 pm

the frame feeders, also known as "division board feeders" are handy, because they are within the hive they are well hidden and protected from outside bees and wasps which reduces the chance of setting off a robbing frenzy. A hive being robbed heavily can be killed very quickly.
Sandy, you don't want to feed honey from other bees to yours as it can contain disease like american foul brood (AFB) which you do not want to get... best to feed sugar syrup if needed. No need to feed when there is a nectar flow on, unless you like filling your honey supers with sugar water.

Return to “Beekeeping”