Foundation-Less and more

Post by SandyM » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Sharing is always good!

Dancing bee by any chance?

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Foundation-Less and more

Post by Brian » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:39 am

I sell a bee hive kit for as low as $129.99 if you are interested Sandy. You can see my kits here - http://innisfilcreekhoney.com/t/kits

SandyM

Foundation-Less and more

Post by SandyM » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks Brian. I have one in the shopping cart on your site but the shipping is killing me. I'm just weighing pros and cons. Bare with me.

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Foundation-Less and more

Post by Brian » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 am

I will probably be going to Mount Forest in April??? I could bring what you want with me.

Let me know.

SandyM

Foundation-Less and more

Post by SandyM » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:45 am

I've been reading and have learned that bees don't like garlic and will avoid and abandon the areas that it can smell it. We use garlic here for mosquito control. 'Mosquito Barrier' and it reeks like garlic!

So my questions is how far from the sprayed area is a good distance to put the hives? What is their scent range? I'm getting 2 deep hives in June packed with bees and ready to go, but placement is obviously a major factor / consideration, with east, and sun and shade and winter drafts and physics and chemistry. Lol. So of course I want to be successful and make sure the garlic does not influence my bees.

Thoughts, knowledge and experince are appreciated. Thanks so much!

Cheers

Bakers Backyard
Newly Hatched Chick

Foundation-Less and more

Post by Bakers Backyard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:17 pm

Hey Sandy, so youre buying a couple double deep colonies? that's a good way to go for a quick start, and even should ensure a honey crop in your first year which is not a guarantee when starting from Nucs.
I've never heard about the Garlic thing... Hive location is always tough, you cant always have everything, but morning sun I think is important at the hive entrance. Gets the bees out working early in the day. I put my hive roughly south facing with a tree line at their backs that helps keep the north wind off them, though wind breaks can be made temporary for winter so that's not that big of an issue. Put them somewhere convenient with enough space around them to work comfortably. Good luck!

SandyM

Foundation-Less and more

Post by SandyM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Thank you BB. I really appreciate the advice. I'm a sponge!!

In the book 'beekeeping for dummies' they talk about garlic, onions and bad body BO.
(SO ... I forbidded the teenager from the beehive areas HAHAHAHA!)

SandyM

Foundation-Less and more

Post by SandyM » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:55 am

A slight hi-jack but that's OK.
image.jpeg

StarviewRidge
Newly Hatched Chick

Foundation-Less and more

Post by StarviewRidge » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Be careful with the lemongrass oil, it mimics the queen's pheromones...you can really have an issue on your hands if used incorrectly. I have some that I am going to put in a spare "swarm box" on our property. I think that is what those guys use that do the beard of bees thing...so keep that in mind...lol!

I use a few drops of spearmint and peppermint EO in my feeders (frame feeders) I add it in to a 2.5-1 sugar/water syrup. I am adding 3-4 drops into 5 litres of syrup...the house smells amazing for a day or so while making it...and after doing some checks last year...we were starting to get a bit of a varroa buildup...and they were almost nonexistant only a week after feeding the syrup. We did not want to use oxalic acid or any of the other treatments, and found the mint EOs worked very well.

We were using a small chicken waterer, but I picked up an old concrete birdbath on the side of the road and put marbles in it...works great...I have seen birds and bees together at it.

No experience with foundationless frames yet...probably won't play with that yet at our place. We have Flow Hives this year to play with.

SandyM

Foundation-Less and more

Post by SandyM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Frame feeders. What's that?

I always have spearmint and peppermint EO's. I have a birdbath I'm going to out marbles in for them. Boy I need a video of step by step. I have a hard time visualizing what you're saying.

Return to “Beekeeping”