A swarm

Shnookie
Free Ranging

A swarm

Post by Shnookie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:25 pm

A swarm of honey bees moved into the attic of my old shop where I keep my mower and other equipment. In mid-September I left the door open while I was mowing. When I came back I saw a few bees flying near the ceiling. I thought they would just leave. Bumblebees often fly in and then back out. We already had cold and snow so I hadn't been in the shop for a while. It warmed up and I went out to mow. There were about 12 bees flying around the main floor and a lot of buzzing coming from upstairs. I thought they were honey bees so I called the Regina Bee club and sent them a picture. They have confirmed they are honey bees that swarmed from somewhere nearby (he said within 20 km of here). The building is cold and drafty so they will not survive the winter there. He said they probably need to be treated for mites too. He is going to try to find someone to come and get them. I hope they can save them.

This is a picture I took in September.
IMG_0961.JPG

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: A swarm

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 pm

:xfingers: Hope you can save them!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:03 am

I hope you can save them as week! Good luck.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Good luck! Hope they can move them.

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:13 pm

I hope that they can be saved too. Thanks for caring :).

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:44 pm

It was cloudy and windy all day. The high was 0. I stuck my head up into the attic on the shop and shone a flashlight around. I couldn’t see any bees, dead or alive, or any honeycomb. I called the Bee club and told them I thought the bees had left and that they may not want to send anyone out. He asked if they could be inside a wall. I said no. The building only has a small section of wall that is closed in on the main floor. I have had bumblebees nest in there before, but they get into it from the ground outside. The only things in the attic are an old broken chair and two wooden crates like they used to carry beer or pop bottles in years ago. I told him this, and asked if the bees could be in the crates. He said that was quite likely. They would be huddled up together trying to keep warm. He said he would send someone out anyway, but didn’t say when. The wind chill tonight is supposed to be -11, and tomorrow night -16. I would go over and look, but I have no experience with honey bees. It would be interesting to see, and to take a picture.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:59 am

Well, no one called or came about the bees. It turns out the man I spoke to at the bee club was running in the election, so I doubt he had time to call anyone. I saw his ad on a billboard. I have a friend whose neighbor keeps bees. I contacted the neighbor 2 weeks ago. She said the bees would likely die if she moved them. She didn't say why, but I assume it would be because they would not have enough honeycomb in a new hive. She said she would come and take a look at them for me, but she hasn't gotten back to me. She asked if they could stay in my building until spring. I said yes, but they will likely die from cold. We are getting an early winter. We have some snow and have had wind chills down to -23 already. If she does come, maybe we can cover them somehow. I called it a swarm, but I have no idea how many bees there are.

Penny
On the Roost

Post by Penny » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:25 am

Hope you can save them! Maybe an old canvas tarp with some insulation overtop? There has to be something on the Google about this! lol

Day of my outdoor wedding 10 years ago, a couple of friends and I were setting up chairs for the ceremony, and along comes a huge swarm of bees (honeybees I assume) flying right about eye level. They didnt land anywhere near, but it was pretty cool to see them as they were swarming to look for a new hive. Must have been good luck - still a great marriage :)

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:32 am

Ahhh birds & bees for a wedding
Lovely 😊
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Well, the lady came today to look at the bees. They are gone and there is no sign that they planned to stay. She said they likely checked it out, but decided it wasn't suitable. They could be in a building on a property nearby, she said, and I may see them next summer.

Return to “Beekeeping”