Help! HeartBurn & Honey. Why?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Over time this discomfort has gotten to unbearable. I can't bring myself to have anymore honey after the last episode.

I LOVE LOVE honey! Raw honey that is. I get it locally and hope to have my own from my hives this year. I took honey for sore throats and when I started to feel a cold coming on. Each dose of honey over the last year has gotten worse and worse; Heart burn and gut rot to the point of violently tossing my cookies the last two times.
Last time I called a friend who is a nurse to take me to the hospital, I couldn't breathe and thought I was going to die (well, it was a consideration to escape the pain). Of course when she got here I refused to go to the sick barn. The heartburn was out of control and then throwing up and she finally managed to get some baking soda and yogurt down my system.

WHAT? WHY? What is going on? Any ideas?
Everything in 'Google' says heart burn is relieved by honey. But I swear honey is trying to kill me.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:18 am

Sounds like the honey you are eating is made from some nectar you are allergic to-the pollen etc brought by the bees in their daily routines that is made into honey has somethingvin it your body reacts to. You may be okaybwith a diffrent brand or a pasteurized honey.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks Kathy.
Off to goggle to see what I can find on that

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm

I did a quick Goggle and an allergy to specific pollens is definitely a consideration...Do you get hay fever? Asters are related to ragweed....
Also, some people with gallbladder troubles report honey giving them heartburn. The Livestrong website reports that the sugar in honey increases stomach acid production, but I'm not sure how much stock I put in that particular website.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Yes I saw this too Jan. Both Interesting because I have using her honey for 4 years. Raw Honey and oregano oil allowed me to go off antihistamines every spring and fall and I barely had any symptoms of seasonal allergies.

two years ago I was in the hospital for my fall
Bladder but after that holy hell I did a detox with milk thistle and dandelion. No problems since.

I did take 3 bee stings this summer with the worlds angriest bee hive.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 pm

P.S. Ragweed is a nightmare for me. Before honey introduction.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 pm

If it is honey collected in fall, you might have your answer...Maybe try clover or buckwheat honey?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST If it is honey collected in fall, you might have your answer...Maybe try clover or buckwheat honey?
It is clover honey and one is wildlfower honey that I have from her. I also get blueberry honey that I've been out of. Think I'll pick up a small jar of blueberry later today or tomorrow and see if that bothers me.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 am

We both suffered from hay fever until we started to buy local unpasteurized honey about 25 years ago.
The only thing that we never managed to avoid is Ragweed reaction.
Since it starts blooming exactly on August 15, there is a serious war on ragweed around our house, pulling any plant we can find before the "deadline" but that doesn't eliminate the ragweed in the ditches, attractively interspersed with poison Ivy.
In the days when the townships were responsible for dealing with "noxious" weeds, they used to spray the ditches, but it's really hard to decide if its harder to live with the weeds or with the chemicals. :(

beekeeper7777
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Help! HeartBurn & Honey. Why?

Post by beekeeper7777 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:52 pm

It is possible that you may be allergic to something in the honey you are consuming. Some people can be allergic to pollen or other substances found in honey. It is also possible that you may be intolerant to some of the sugars found in honey, which can cause digestive issues. If you are experiencing severe symptoms after consuming honey, it is important to speak with a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment. It may be necessary to avoid consuming honey or to try a different type of honey to see if that helps alleviate your symptoms.

Return to “Beekeeping”