Wintering Bees

Maximus

Wintering Bees

Post by Maximus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:00 am

Currently I am fall sugar juicing the bees right now to give them as much as possible before winter lockdown. Unfortunately I am not convinced they have enough honey to get through the winter. Especially my one hive that is down to one layer.

Is there a good quality feed I can give them? Where would I get?
How do I feed them when they are wrapped up?

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Wintering Bees

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Sorry for the late reply. It is kind of late but maybe the next person reading this can benefit.

The best alternative feed for honey bees other than natural nectar from flowers is Refined Sugar mixed with water. Sucrose is the perfect suplimental feed for a honey bee. In the Spring you feed and 1:1 sugar syrup and in the fall it is best to feed a 2:1 sugar syrup. Honey Bees will only take liquid syrup when it is above about 6 degrees Celsius. It is best to make sure that they take in enough syrup before it gets to cold.

After they are wrapped and tucked in for winter you do not want to open the hive to feed. If you have a really light hive you can feed solid sugar, either in a sugar cake, as a fondant. There are lots of videos on YouTube on feeding sugar cakes.

In the Spring you can also supplement with Pollen Patties or Pollen Substitute to supply protein for the bees to start raising young.

I hope that helps someone.

beekeeper7777
Newly Hatched Chick

Re: Wintering Bees

Post by beekeeper7777 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:53 pm

Maximus wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:00 am
Currently I am fall sugar juicing the bees right now to give them as much as possible before winter lockdown. Unfortunately I am not convinced they have enough honey to get through the winter. Especially my one hive that is down to one layer.

Is there a good quality feed I can give them? Where would I get?
How do I feed them when they are wrapped up?
There are a few options for feeding bees during the winter months. One option is to use a feeding method called "candy boards." This involves placing a board with a layer of fondant or sugar candy on top of the hive, which the bees can access as a food source during the winter. You can purchase premade candy boards or make your own by melting sugar and pouring it onto a board or into small cups.

Another option is to use a "top feeder," which is a container that sits on top of the hive and allows the bees to access sugar syrup. You can fill the container with a mixture of sugar and water, and the bees will feed on it as needed.

It is important to make sure the feed you provide is of good quality, as poor quality feed can contain impurities that can harm the bees. You can purchase high-quality sugar and feed from a local beekeeping supply store or online.

When feeding bees during the winter, it is important to make sure the feed is not frozen and that the bees have access to it. If the weather is very cold, you may need to place a heating element (such as a light bulb) near the hive to keep the feed from freezing.

Return to “Beekeeping”