I have a bee question!!!

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

I have a bee question!!!

Post by Skinny rooster » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:46 pm

A couple of days ago, when it was a nice warm morning, as I walked to the garden I could hear all the bees after the pumpkin flowers but this morning it was a much higher pitch sound than the usual bumblebees. When I looked, there were dozens and dozens of what looked like honey bees. There are no hives for miles around me. I'm wondering if there are any similar wild bees in Canada. Otherwise they have to be stray honey bees.

Maximus

I have a bee question!!!

Post by Maximus » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:42 am

Honey bees will travel up to 6km I believe for a source. This time of year I suspect they are travelling further. But I'm sure there are also wild honey bees.

Skinny rooster
Head Chicken

I have a bee question!!!

Post by Skinny rooster » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:28 am

I have never seen this before, they really did look like honey bees; however it was only that one morning, the flowers had a really strong sweet smell that day so maybe you are right about them traveling from somewhere. The only thing is they would have to travel for miles over small mountains and through a lot of forest. It did happen years ago where a hive found its way to us. Sadly we discovered it by accident when sawing up an old rotting maple tree, it was too late to save the hive and it was in November so everything was dead by the next day.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

I have a bee question!!!

Post by TomK » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:35 am

It could be squash wasps...small, look like bees...gourd flowers typically only flower for 24 hours and the wasps pollinate them during that time...very specialized...just a thought...
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Beekeeping”