Bees and Stress Aid

Maximus

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by Maximus » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:51 pm

This is the 3rd day I've had stress aid in waterers for the chickens and ducks. It's Hot and wanted to make sure they get the extra boost during this extreme heat.

However. The bees are covering the waterers. I have 2 waterers over by their hives, and one a little further away for them (out of flock reach) with just water. They seem to ignore them since the stress aid is here for the flock.

This morning I had to put in my bee suit to deal with the waterers. When I say covered, I mean covered. I emptied them and removed the stress aid supplement.

Is this addition of stress aid going to cause a problem for the bees? Why do they like it soooo much? Since I changed the water to just water I see a fraction of them there now.

I want to add ACV to the water for the flock, will this have any affects on the bees as well?

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:40 pm

It's sweet and flavoured, to encourage animals to drink it. Like Sunny Delight or Orange Tang. I'm sure the bees think it's manna from heaven lol. I don't know if it would cause harm, butI view it the same way for my critters as I view coloured/flavoured junk drinks like Tang-nice as a treat or a boost, but if I'm getting enough vitams from real food, the junk stays on the shelf.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm thinking stress-aid has tetracycline in it? I don't know.
Not real good if your going to draw honey off the hive. Not sure about ACV.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by Jaye » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Stress Aid just has vits and mins. I think you're thinking of super booster - it has penicillin.
Stress Aid ingredients:
http://www.tscstores.com/Assets/Product ... 2001_z.jpg
Super Booster ingredients:
http://www.tscstores.com/Assets/Product ... 2007_z.jpg
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Maximus

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by Maximus » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:19 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST It's sweet and flavoured, to encourage animals to drink it. Like Sunny Delight or Orange Tang. I'm sure the bees think it's manna from heaven lol. I don't know if it would cause harm, butI view it the same way for my critters as I view coloured/flavoured junk drinks like Tang-nice as a treat or a boost, but if I'm getting enough vitams from real food, the junk stays on the shelf.
I lost 1 pullet from what I believe to be heat stroke and 2 others were suffering. Weather changed to cooler and stress aid was added to waterers. I managed to have the 2 that weren't top of their game pick up and are now roaming wth the flock and doing much better. Sometimes stress aid added to water is better safe than sorry, and I hate additives, trust me, but this weather was beyond negotiations.

Hopefully all the bees return to their waterers sooner than later.

Maximus

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by Maximus » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Bayvistafarm wrote:QR_BBPOST I'm thinking stress-aid has tetracycline in it? I don't know.
Not real good if your going to draw honey off the hive. Not sure about ACV.
Nope no drugs. Electrolytes etc. :)

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by shaded » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:30 am

I always keep enough buckets refilled from my barn well to do at least 1 round of watering in case power goes out (well is a distance from the barn & it's a pain to haul that many buckets back and forth if power is out or pump dies)
Anyway, my bees are ALWAYS ringing the bucket rims-they like the black rubber buckets better than their own waterers for some reason (Same water, just diff container)
We fight every day as I swish them off the rims so I can take the buckets into the barn.
Yet I've never seen them inside the barn with the chickens directly....

But back to Maximus concern-no I'd not worry- stress-aid is like Gatorade for livestock.
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

Maximus

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by Maximus » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:17 pm

I am always shooing them away each day as well to freshen and fill waterers. I even got the bees the same waterers because apparently they have a preference :)

Doesn't matter, they want the ones the chicken use lol. As long as they are swarmed like they were with the stress aid then I can deal with it.

Bakers Backyard
Newly Hatched Chick

Bees and Stress Aid

Post by Bakers Backyard » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:21 pm

I've heard of electrolytes like stress aid being used as an ingredient in pollen sub protein patties for honey bees. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Return to “Beekeeping”