Debee's Bees Apiary bees stolen

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:32 am

Well known local Apiary was robbed of bee hives and "nucs" ready for sale.
It must be absolutely heart breaking.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:39 am

I was so sad to hear this as I know Debbie from a while back when she was setting up a sheep cheese dairy at Forfar.
Hope they find them and she's able to rebuild from her precious historic stock.
She's a wonderful person.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:40 am

OC...Debbie is a good friend of mine, lives just down the road here...she is shattered with this theft...she has what i consider an heirloom strain of honey bees and they are family to her...two of her nucs were to be coming here but i guess its next year now...maybe...recovery from this level of theft takes time ...there are no words
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:23 am

I don't get it who is low enough to do this stuff?
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Robbie » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:06 am

That is sad, and a dreadful, awful thing to have happened. And to think that it must be someone who knows about bees, and probably knows Debee's is sickening.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:30 am

TomK wrote:QR_BBPOST OC...Debbie is a good friend of mine, lives just down the road here...she is shattered with this theft...she has what i consider an heirloom strain of honey bees and they are family to her...two of her nucs were to be coming here but i guess its next year now...maybe...recovery from this level of theft takes time ...there are no words
It's couple hours since I read the article and driving back from the market was just saying to DH, I can't get past how badly I feel for this person I don't even know, it must be just so heart breaking, it would be like loosing a business and pets, simply terrible.
You would think that somebody somewhere saw something truck loaded with bee hives must be pretty obvious.

shaded
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by shaded » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 pm

The worst part is that is the second attack on her apiary-the first was a poisoning a few years back.
I know Debbie pretty well...I have some of her bees as our house and her family are connected (Hutchings bees and my old farmhouse was a Hutchings farm down the way-cousins)
I moved my hives this year to put them out of sight of the road. They seem to be happy, and as of yet I don't have bears close, so see how they fare later into the season. Debbee's bees were well out of sight, but not in her house-yard; a gated field down a-ways. And she has sheep guardian dogs-too bad one can't be trained to guard hives not livestock!

But sure has added to my trail-cam or surveillance cam shopping list. (coons, weasels, dogs, rats, coyotes & now people).
I have 6 shepherds here-3 are pups of which 2 need to be re-homed shortly so 4 dogs roaming as a deterrent not vicious, just visual & loud announcements of "unknowns" on the property. However they don't roam loose at night, hence cams/alerts needed.
I feel for her horribly-she and Beth (honeybees amaze me is Beth's website) worked so hard to build and rebuild last year with Debbie's health issues on top of this, so that is just ignorant behaviour on the thieves.
Buckeye,WhChantie,StdDarkCornish,BCMarans,LB leghorns,Ancona,BBSAmeraucana. BSW,BR,Slate,Narry Turkeys.
Member of Rare Breeds Canada/Heritage Livestock Canada
Honey fr homestead bees & Maple Syrup.Lumber, Heirloom fruit trees&plants.
Tamworth Pigs, Goats coming.

Return to “Beekeeping”