New Hives

Maximus

New Hives

Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:20 am

Just thought I would share :)

Already had a stroke with some upside down not so healthy looking bee but was told its housekeeping lol. I was ready to call 9-1-1 but I feel better. Plus I opened my book. Yup. It's all good.
image.jpeg

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

New Hives

Post by Robbie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Congratulations! When do you get honey?
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Maximus

New Hives

Post by Maximus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:39 am

Well. I'mnot sure. They're making a hot mess in the one so I have to go in and clean the comb off the lid etc., but I need to let the queen settle for a few days. I (think) I released her yesterday. It's nerve racking. What if she didn't get released and I just knocked her to the bottom to her death. What if what if. I got told don't let her out through the top, when I release her. Ummm. Lol. STRESS! Lol. I don't think she got out. He bottom exit is fine, but not the top. Im studying , writing notes from my books. That's how I learn, rewrite.

I need to let them make their own honey for the winter, so they can feed on that not supplemental feed. Anything above that I can have. So I have no idea how much and when I'll get it. Lol.

Go out during the day when they're out flying I got told. Holy cow, if that isn't everyone home, I can't imagine what a crowded place it is when everyone is there.

I will say, it's pretty magical when you open the lid.

Maximus

New Hives

Post by Maximus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:52 am

My rooster does NOT like my beekeeping suit. He followed me and chatted and flapped his wings and stood guard between me and his girls. When I was done and took my head gear off he looked rather annoyed that he had just wasted 10 minutes away from his girls and strutted back.

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

New Hives

Post by Robbie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 am

Got stung yet?
I thought the queen stayed in the hive all the time- I don't know anything about bees. But I've been tempted to try a couple of times. We don't go through much honey in a year, but I could use the beeswax......
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Maximus

New Hives

Post by Maximus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:19 am

That's why I couldn't let her out the top. Apparently she'd never find her way back. Weird. Not sure I understand that but who am I to not listen lol.

Nope, no stings. Massive bee suit. But I am expecting a few throughout the season.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

New Hives

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:52 am

Your rooster sounds like a good boy!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Maximus

New Hives

Post by Maximus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:33 am

He really is KB. I'm very happy with him (thank you goatgirl35)

Although I do wish he would let the UPS guy out when I'm not home.

A friend came by on Thursday and the rooster and a few select girls came running to the front (they always come running when I get home, on the off chance I've picked up a treat for them. And they surround me until they get it haha) and she was amazed at the greeting committee. Haha!

Bakers Backyard
Newly Hatched Chick

New Hives

Post by Bakers Backyard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Congrats on the new bees!

Return to “Beekeeping”