Puppy!

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Puppy!

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:15 am

When you bring her for a visit I'll try to make sure the turekys don't attack her! We had a very embarrassing few minutes with @Kbr42 and Baxter!!!!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:34 am

How is the energy level of that little cutie pie?

I am half-looking for another pooch to replace the sweetie that we recently lost :(.

Linda

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:39 pm

Thanks for the tips @lolotsung. She’s been getting more contact with people and dogs in the neighborhood now she’s got her shots. When my sisters were her last week we did the in and welcome routines and that was a help though she still loves to greet people!

Today we had a very nasty experience though on our early morning walk. We often meet a woman and her small dog on the Waterfront trail near us. As we met on the trail and we’re renewing introductions a large huskyX barrelled out of nowhere and started attacking the small dog. The owner was trying to protect it but it kept at it until I could grab its collar and pull it off at which point it calmed down. The woman got bitten in her hand. The huskyX owner was way off with a group of regular dog walkers that walk their dogs in the area every morning and slowly made his way over and put the leash on his dog, said sorry and went back to join the group. The owner of the small dog was really upset and it seemed like the dog didn’t get too hurt thanks to the thick coat it was wearing. The owner and her dog went home a short distance away.

I was really rattled and finished a short walk with Kukla who cowered by me as it happened and wouldn’t go on the part of the trail where the group of dog walkers were. I regret now not walking the woman home. I don’t know the names of the other 2 owners and though I called the Canine control, they can’t do anything unless the woman files a complaint. I’ll likely see her again in the next few days and tell her to file a complaint if she hasn’t already.
I’ve seen the dog and it’s owner that attacked many times since I’ve been in this neighbourhood and met them earlier this week with the dog group and it treated Kukla fine. There are many people who walk with their dogs in this area, and some are very good, others not. But I have had a few times that unleashed dogs have come over to us without the owners control and this event really worries me about some dog owners and their respect for others. The owner of the attacking dog seemed dismissive by saying that it had never attacked another dog. Though this may be true, the fact it did attack and was off leash is his fault not the dog’s, especially since he didn’t seem to notice that the dog was several 100m away. I’m hoping the people he was walking with will kick him out of their group and I’ll certainly avoid he and his dog.

Anyway, I hope I never have to experience this again and hope the woman and her dog are OK and the owner of the other keeps his dog on leash for now on.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:38 pm

You're welcome. OMG! I hope Kukla isn't scarred for life! She should report to the eg. Caledon Animal Services with photos of her bite. She should report to the eg. Peel Public Health and she should see a doctor. I was bitten by my brother-in-laws dog that was NOT vaccinated for rabies (allergic) and my doctor was very concerned about rabies. I called his wife and the dog was in good health and always indoors so very unlikely to get rabies. She gave me a tetanus booster. If she doesn't report, then the dog will continue to bite people and the owner will continue to leave it off leash. Apparently he has never bitten anyone. Do I believe her? No.

Another tip is keep a leash on your dog at home so you can control, quickly catch, and correct eg. dog runs off with your shoe, grab leash, say NO, go get his bone, give it to him and say good dog, be gentle with puppies; Adult dog: Goes to eat poopsicle :barf: quick pull on leash and firm NO.
Last edited by lolotsung on Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:55 pm

My neighbour next door says he always avoids this fellow and his dog whenever he’s walking his young lab. He also said he’d heard this isn’t the first time he’s heard this has happened.
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:04 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:15 am
When you bring her for a visit I'll try to make sure the turekys don't attack her! We had a very embarrassing few minutes with @Kbr42 and Baxter!!!!
That doesn’t surprise me at all @Killerbunny!

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:20 pm

An aggressive dog needs to be on a leash and needs a muzzle.

Another tip to stop a dog from jumping on people. When excited make the dog play the "Circle around and between your legs" game. He can't jump if he needs to go between your legs. Let him circle around and around until he isn't excited.
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:40 pm

Good for you Brebis. I have heard that training the Borders with India Runner Ducks is a good thing. They herd and stay together and don't peck at a young dog to put it off herding. Not sure about other ducks, but probably work too.

I want to get another dog since Ranger got killed, but have made no efforts so far. As I get older, smaller dog seems more likely, and maybe not a puppy. We will just see what comes on the horizon that will work for us and the dog and the people it comes from. Anyway, I am happy for you and your puppy.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:57 am

An update about the dog attack I witnessed several weeks ago.

The little dog sustained a serious injury to her shoulder and was black and blue and got infections in the wounds. Vet bill almost $900. She’s on the mend physically but is terrified of going out for walks especially when other dogs are around. The owner spent 4 hrs in emerg to get her thumb stitched up.

The owner of the small dog filed a complaint to the city bylaw dept and several bylaw officers came and took pictures of the dogs injuries, the vet report and also the details and photos of the owners injuries. I filed a witness statement as well. Since the small dog was on a leash they took it seriously.

The owner of the large dog has agreed to pay for the vet bill and his dog is now on leash and muzzled when out walking.
I feel so sad for the attacking dog, it is friendly to people and most dogs. It wasn’t its fault for its present situation it, it was the fault of its owner who knew of the animosity between these 2 dogs but ignored it and allowed his dog off leash at the time when the small dog and its owner take their regular walks, without knowing where his was or what it was doing. He had the gall to blame the small dog’s previous aggression towards his dog for the attack!

So, sad situation all around that could have been avoided with responsible dog ownership.

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:43 am

FYI works on all canine
Attachments
2B922D74-39F5-4369-B15C-97E52D428F6D.png
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Photos”