Day 21 Eggs Hatching

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Day 21 Eggs Hatching

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:32 am

yep some chicks are nuts when they're hatched, and they go crashing through all the other chicks and eggs. doesn't seem to hurt much though. did all the eggs hatch? if so that's a wonderful wonderful hatch rate! congrats! i use sharpie markers to put stripes on their heads to tell my chicks apart in the first few days. it needs to be reapplied every couple of days....but doesn't seem to hurt them. once the feathers start coming in i can usually tell them apart from the colours/patterns so stop at that point. leg bands work too or small zippy ties, but you really really need to watch them so they don't grow into their legs. chicks grow so fast that leg bands really need to be changed every 2-3 days at the beginning. so i find the marker is better.
leave the incubator closed until they're all fluffy. and it's totally normal for the humidity to spike up like that as they are hatching. i just leave the red plug in until pretty much all are hatched and then take it out to help them fluff up.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Thank-you for the help everyone. All 8 eggs hatched. All chicks are alive and well. Our last one hatched at 8 am today. We only took 8 days worth of eggs to improve our chances of success. I read that eggs taken after 7 days have less chance of success. The garage went down to 38 degrees one night when we were collecting the eggs and the temperature and humidity was always fluctuating. We don't have a basement. Also on the first night we forgot to turn the eggs and a few times we turned late (about 10 hours). The incubator temperature and humidity was always fluctuating too. We kind of figured out how to candle but were not sure of 2 of them. All we saw was black and no veins but an experienced person might see more. We will move them to the brooder once they are all dry.
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:37 pm

That is an amazing result! Enjoy the chicks.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Congratulations!

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:58 pm

Thank-you @Killerbunny we will enjoy the cute little fuzzy chicks! Thank-you @Happy !

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:12 am

Congratulations....great job! Enjoy them.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:41 am

Congrats!!!! so.....we all love to see photos...hahaha. i need to get out to the coop and get some pics of the fuzzybutts my nieces hatched for me too. it really feels like spring now with the hatching happening!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 pm

DSC_2875_low res.JPG
Thanks @Kbr42 it was quite the journey for us...learned so much and still learning every day! @WLLady please upload some photos when you are free :-) I loooove photos! Let us say about 1 day old. Check out our live Chick Cam on Twitch.tv and search for V3g3m1te. They look so funny when they fall asleep.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:47 pm

Day old Stripper with Mom......
20210411_091503.mp4
(12.32 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I'm betting not may other people can say that :wave:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:10 pm

@lolotsung can't find that on twitch
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Photos”