First Day out in awhile...........

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:48 pm

+10C today so I moved one of my Euskal Oiloas pens back up to the top of the barn so that they could go outside today. I have been feeling bad as for the most part this winter they could have been going out. So I took my older group of girls and introduced them to their new fella "Carl" (don't ask DH named him) LOL They seem to like him :heart:
Attachments
IMG_2173 (1024x575).jpg
IMG_2172 (1024x575).jpg
IMG_2170 (1024x575).jpg

SandyM

Post by SandyM » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Oh he's a good looking rooster! Is this the super friendly breed? They are nice looking birds FRF!! How's their egg production? They lay all winter?

I don't know if it's just my flock, but there hasn't been one day since I've had them that they haven't been outside. -30 they still go out. I worry about their feet getting frost bit but apparently they don't. Lou joked and said I should make mini snowshoes for them since they walk through 20cm of snow. They're half buried they don't care.

Last week we got 20cm of snow. In 24 hours the snow is gone. Yesterday was +8 and today got up to +15. It's a bloody muddy mess but the girls are feasting on grass and very happy about it.

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes Sandy this is the super friendly breed!! LOL They don't like the snow, if there is even the smallest amount of snow on the ramp to go out they won't. It's warmer in the bottom of the barn and the water usually does not freeze so it's easier to keep them down there for the winter. Now Carl was up top since just before my knee surgery as he starting fighting with Briar my other young cockerel that is 3 weeks older than him. So now Carl has frost bitten wattles, the hens seem very interested in the black edges............ :barf:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:07 am

Lovely birds!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:26 am

Beautiful, it's so nice seeing them outside!

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:54 am

Sorry Sandy I never answered the rest of your questions...........yes very decent layer, this breed represents out 80% of my birds. They are no leghorn, winter they slow down as usually I am dealing with a late Fall moult and I do not artificially light them, even at that I get about a dozen eggs a day during the winter out of about 30 hens. During the Spring and Summer I get pretty much an egg day from them.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Beautiful!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Beautiful!