3 month old Seramas

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: 3 month old Seramas

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:28 pm

I've never had Seramas but I THINK they are similar to my OEGBs in temperament. I have two young roosters that grew up together. They started fighting about April last spring and I took turns caging one and letting the other spend the day with girls. That lasted about 2 weeks and then hormones settled down and they figured things out. Stewart is head roo and Spanky is his wingman. My 3rd rooster is Sherman and he is about 5 or 6. He lives in a separate area with his own girls but he can see the other flock. There was a lot of fighting thru the wire or during supervised free range time for a month or more but they've figured it out. The young girls love Sherman because he's very focused on their happiness lol. So the young boys allow Sherman to take a couple girls each day during free range time and they dont make much fuss about it. Sherman dotes on them and they get lots of treats and go home to their husbands at night 😂
I'm guessing your guys will get along together fine at least until spring hormone rage hits. I'm not sure they'd fare very well outside without supplemental heat though.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:45 pm

@Happy , your post made me chuckle. It's heartwarming to read about a poultry enthusiast so in tune with the characters in their flock.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:06 pm

The Manitoba sale fell through.

The smallest pullet has been getting picked on a bit (maybe that's why she's small). I picked her up to check for injuries and to pet her a bit. She climbed up the front of my shirt and cuddled under my chin then proceeded to tell me her problems. Awwwww! She would make someone a good pet I think.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 am

Shnookie wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:06 pm
The Manitoba sale fell through.

The smallest pullet has been getting picked on a bit (maybe that's why she's small). I picked her up to check for injuries and to pet her a bit. She climbed up the front of my shirt and cuddled under my chin then proceeded to tell me her problems. Awwwww! She would make someone a good pet I think.
Ah, I think she has already made someone a good pet :wave: :wave:

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 am

Soo cute!! I agree with Kenya, LOVE the little mottled ones. :love smiley:

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:42 am

2 of the cockerels talk when I pick them up too. Interesting. They can't handle cold so I will have to heat them for the winter. Should make them worth about 100 dollars each by spring. :)

Flat Rock Farm

Post by Flat Rock Farm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:24 pm

The Serama's I had all talked. Sweet little birds, I found the hens chattered a bit more than the cockerels. :heart:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:05 pm

Keep them in the garage where its warmer, maybe cheaper to keep them.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:36 pm

That would be a good idea kenya, if I had a garage. :(
I am going to have to try to make a warm enough pen. I've started closing in an 8'x8' pen for them. They will all be together for the winter unless there is fighting. I will bring them in if I have to but I'd rather not. I'll put a thick layer of shavings on the floor, several roosts, and make a lower ceiling using a piece of plastic. They'll have a heated water dish like the rest. It would be nice if winter wasn't so long this year.

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:31 pm

I don't think they will all get along together. There are 5 boys and 5 girls. 3 boys are in one pen - 2 are bigger than all the rest, the gold cockerel is in a pen with 2 girls and the white cockerel is in a pen with 3 girls. The gold cockerel already acts like he owns his girls.

Return to “Photos”