Newly Hatched

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Shnookie
Free Ranging

Re: Newly Hatched

Post by Shnookie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:18 am

6 bigger ones disappeared on Thursday. I hope they are alive. There were 6 more still on the milkweed yesterday. They weren't full size when I saw them last. We had really electric thunderstorms all last evening and during the night with some heavy rain. This morning it is cool and wet. I can't see any caterpillars. They were eating like crazy yesterday. I'll check later. I can't wait to see if any new Monarchs appear. It's been really interesting learning about them.
IMG_0310.JPG

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:38 pm

My sister-in-law has a monarch house and is on her second batch of hatches. So, cool. Last year they were away and I got to let one out. Good luck.

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:41 am

Boy they sure grow!

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:39 pm

I never found any chrysalises and never saw any new Monarchs. 6 bigger ones left first, then a few days later 4 more bigger ones left. I assumed they went off to turn into butterflies when I couldn't find them, but it occurred to me they could just as easily have been eaten by rodents - I have several kinds here. There were 2 left one medium sized and one smaller one. The smaller one started shrinking then disappeared. I found the medium sized one dead in the garden. I left it there. The next morning it was gone. That's when I thought maybe none of them made it to chrysalises. Gophers will eat anything - plant or animal. I also read that mice will eat the caterpillars.

I got several more milkweed plants. I am making a "caterpillar rearing" cage for the next time. I will bring them in as caterpillars and let them go when they have changed. I got the design for the cage and information about Monarchs from this website.

https://monarchlab.org/biology-and-rese ... l-enemies/

Return to “Photos”