Tripled in size at one week old!

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Tripled in size at one week old!

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:41 pm

Well, the more permanent tractor grow out pen for the little boogers (quail babies) isn't finished yet, and they had truly outgrown their first brooder by Saturday, so we cobbled together brooder #2 out of the biggest cage we had and they moved in on Sunday morning. Here is a short video of their reaction to the new place.
VID_20190721_144617.mp4
(44.29 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Tripled in size at one week old!

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Cuties! They really have grown!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:27 pm

This little whozit was complaining about the lack of service. Their water had run out since the last time I checked on it about an hour earlier.
VID_20190721_144700.mp4
(12.46 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:54 am

Well, they're just over three and a half weeks old today. They're eating machines, and enjoying their space in their new tractor. Next weekend we will be attempting to integrate the big girls (and Silverman) in with the "babies". Should be interesting. I've been told that it's best to integrate at around 4 weeks, before any of them are even thinking about reaching maturity. Apparently they are not viewed as a threat by the mature members of the existing flock then. Here's hoping. If all goes well, the main quail quarters will be cleaned out ready to house those that make themselves known as males at about 6-8 weeks old.
the new quail enclosure
the new quail enclosure
a few of the babies in one of their shelters
a few of the babies in one of their shelters

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:25 pm

They grow so fast , before I knew it mine were laying eggs. I had trouble when I tried putting mine together but you have a bigger area so hopefully you will be fine plus yours I think are younger.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:00 pm

That's a lovely setup @Jaye
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Thanks, @Killerbunny . It's not done yet, and there will be further modifications for the winter, but it seems to work very well as is, so far.
@kenya, do you remember how old yours were when you integrated them? I'm not sure how it will go with ours, because we'll be adding the mature flock to the enclosure where the babies are at home. I think I'll add another stool from Dollarama (the one in there is being used as a quail clubhouse :-)) and will add a bunch more cedar boughs as well. Hopefully, that will help. Worse comes to worst, we will string some plastic garden mesh as a divider for a few days until they get used to each other.

Kbr42
Head Chicken

Post by Kbr42 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:32 am

Looks like you have a good plan @Jaye. I've had a dog fence in between flocks in my coop. It has worked well to integrate 2 flocks of different ages and sizes. Let us know how it works out for you. BTW, I spent a lot of time in with both flocks making sure it works well!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:11 am

Sorry Jaye I don't remember how old they were.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:01 am

No worries, @kenya . Did they get sorted out fairly quickly and without too much bloodshed?
@Kbr42 , we do have a dog fence that we have used for chickens, but the wire spacing is too large for quails - they go right through it. :-|
I will be spending a bit of time observing their behaviour after I integrate them: I'll be sitting in there on my Dollarama plastic stool with my morning coffee, watching all the activity.
It's great to have an enclosure that has enough room be able to be in there with them.

Return to “Photos”