Eeek what is it? Mmmmmmmm

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Eeek what is it? Mmmmmmmm

Post by Happy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:11 pm

I make my own yogurt in my instant pot but the last batch sat in a strainer too long and it’s thicker than I like so thought I’d share some with the chickens tonight.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Eeek what is it? Mmmmmmmm

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:55 am

LOL, cute video, @Happy . It's funny how some chickens just love yoghurt, and some not so much. There are only two hens in our flock a the moment that like it, and they were around when Twyla was still with us. She used to love it, and I think because she was head hen it was deemed a popular treat by the rest of the hens who were part of the flock in her day.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am

:laugh:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Ha! Ha! Love the way she tentatively takes a nibble , like it might kill her, then chows it down.

"Hummm thats nice, she says."

Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mfrase27 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:44 pm

LOL

Ok, so I used to make yoghurt in the instant pot too but then I started using it for chicken and soups. The last two batches of yoghurt tasted and smelled like chicken and seasoning! I cleaned the ring- twice. I also “cooked” vinegar & lemon and apple juice & cinnamon. I thought it worked both times, but then had chicken yoghurt :/. Any suggestions??

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Replace the ring. 😉 That's where cooking odours get infused and won't come out. I have several, one for baked goods, one for meat-based dishes, and a couple to spare. If I made my yogurt in the instant pot, I would probably dedicate one for yogurt.
Last edited by Jaye on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy

Post by Happy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Yes I agree with Jaye-get a ring for sweets and a ring for savouries.

Mfrase27
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Mfrase27 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Seriously? Lol. I’m going to have to go get another one tonight! I refuse to buy single serve yoghurt cups now that they aren’t recycleable. I was really missing homemade yoghurt because I haven’t found a bigger tub that I enjoy. THANKS!!

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:39 pm

If you shop Amazon Prime, you can get better prices per unit on 2 and 4 packs, than you would if you buy singles at retail stores.
These are the ones I bought a while back:

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Making yogurt... Thanks for the reminder! Haven't made any for a while.
I make my yogurt in a large wide mouth mason jar.
Well, first I warm the oven to the lowest temperature setting, then turn it off. I heat the milk in a pot, to 180F, cool it down in cold water in the sink to 110-115F, add the starter, then pour it all into the warm jar with a loose fitting plastic lid. Then I put the jar in a pyrex bowl that is lined with a dish towel, and wrap the towel around the sides of the jar. That goes into a warmed oven overnight. The next morning, it's yogurt.

Return to “Photos”