Day 14

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Day 14

Post by Killerbunny » Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 am

You did the right thing @Jaye congrats on the other babies though!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 am

Oh I’m sorry Jaye and hubby. Heartbreaking decision to have to make. I’m glad you got 2 at least.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Congratulations on the 2 little ones! Very sorry about the little that didn't make it, you did the right thing. Hatches are stressful, as I'm sure everyone here will agree. Enjoy your 2 little ones😊

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri May 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Congratulations on your babies!
Too bad about the little one, thats the downside to hatching chicks, some just aren't right.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm
[...]
P.S. I've got some "Charlie" eggs in my incubator as well, I set 8 eggs on the 2nd, and all fertile and developing except one! :wee:
That's awesome! Hoping for a great hatch rate for you, and looking forward to pics after they hatch out.
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm
He is a very spoiled rooster. I never saw him eat until two days ago. I knew he must be eating, but as soon as I entered he would get as far away from me as possible and do his best to be invisible until I left. A couple days ago I held some treats out on a spoon, and all of a sudden he was a completely different bird. He waltzed right up to me and started eating out of the spoon, calling the hens, even let me touch him...and I realized I've been feeding him wrong this whole time :rofl:
:laugh: Well, that makes sense, actually: When Charlie and Cilla were in the their grow-out coop, I used to offer them treats in a small round snack container every morning. They used to retreat to the far corners of the coop when I first opened the door, but after a few days of treat delivery, they would come to greet me at the door, ready to dig in to the treats.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon May 13, 2019 10:26 am

Kbr42 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm
Congratulations on the 2 little ones! Very sorry about the little that didn't make it, you did the right thing. Hatches are stressful, as I'm sure everyone here will agree. Enjoy your 2 little ones😊
Happy wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:55 am
Oh I’m sorry Jaye and hubby. Heartbreaking decision to have to make. I’m glad you got 2 at least.
Killerbunny wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 am
You did the right thing @Jaye congrats on the other babies though!
Thanks for the congrats, everyone. Re: the one that we euthanized, we did what we thought was best at the time. Still, it makes me sad that I didn't know how to save it.
In case anyone is interested in the status of the 4 remaining eggs,
two died without pipping, and
two had pipped at the wrong end of the shell, but I didn't see that because where they had pipped was on the side of the egg facing down on the floor of the incubator. :cry:
Of the two that survived, it turns out that the Brabanter chick is either :bat: poop crazy, or twisted evil. I had to set up a separate brooder for him/her, because it was constantly pecking at the other chick's eyes. It doesn't matter what I do, it's relentless. Food and treats don't distract it, putting my hand between them to take away the visual of the other chick doesn't make any difference; that chick has made it his/her mission to remove the other chick's eyes. I put a little open ended box in the brooder, hoping that would provide a hiding place, but that didn't help either. Do they make pinless peepers for chicks? ;-)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon May 13, 2019 12:20 pm

I've had to do that a time or 2 as well, once they get a little older the one being picked on will easily move away and the other one will stop the behaviour as it begins to recognize food and the other chicks eyes are no longer easy pickings.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon May 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Jaye my namesake guy "Happy" hatched with wryneck. He couldn't stand on his own and therefore couldnt eat on his own. I wasnt working at the time and had nothing but time and stubbornness on my side. I carried him in my pocket or in my hand for 2 weeks. He went to the Orillia Pipes and Drums festival, the pharmacy, the grocery store (secretly) and family gatherings. He ate soaked chick crumble out of a syringe about every hour and got vitamin B, E and Selenium. It was a ton of work and if I had any kind of a life at the time it would not have been doable. In the end Happy never was "normal". Don't second guess yourself.
As for the remainder of your hatch...it sounds much like my last experience hatching and I really don't have the guts for it. I prefer the experts do the hatching (the hens)!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 am

But Happy had the best of lives while he was on this earth, you gave him everything.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue May 14, 2019 7:15 am

And we all remember him very fondly, little chap gave people so much joy!
And as for Happys' other comment if I don't have a handy broody girl my eggs go to Millpond now!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Photos”