Day 14

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Day 14

Post by Jaye » Thu May 23, 2019 4:27 pm

OMG, how exciting! Sooo sweet! That will be a really interesting chick.
Looks like it has the Brabanter eyes and nares.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri May 24, 2019 12:49 am

Jaye wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:27 pm
OMG, how exciting! Sooo sweet! That will be a really interesting chick.
Looks like it has the Brabanter eyes and nares.
I'm SO excited! I thought he was black or blue with a bit of brownish red on his head...but he's not. Now that he's dry, I can see he's got blue undercolour and brownish red streaks all over his body. I have never had any chicks with his down colour/pattern, so I'm absolutely thrilled and hope I get to watch him grow up! He DOES have brabanter nares (so I'm hopeful for a crest although there's no sign of one at the moment) and those eyes, great big liquid pools of cuteness! And, he's definitely got muffs and beard. He's going to be a stunner!
Number two Charlie baby is out! I haven't got pics yet, but number two is a beautiful light-medium silvery blue colour, with silver (white) eyebrows and wingtips. It looks like he's got the nares, beard, and those huge puppy dog eyes too.
Both Charlie babies so far have hatched very textbook, and are up and strong, but are fat with swollen feet. Nothing I can do about that except hope everyone else makes it out ok, and not be too surprised if I get some quitters that die. I checked all eggs for pips when I snatched Charlie Junior #1 out, and all were pipped...but two pips were on the underside of the egg (not usually a big deal unless humidity is stupid, which it is, but these guys are active, breathing and chirping) and two are at the wrong end. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on the wrong-end guys. They are also breathing and chirping, but may not be able to turn to get themselves out.
After my uncontrollable excitement of Charlie baby number one, I've been sitting on my hands...I have other babies besides Charlie's hatching in there, and I can't just snatch each one out to take a picture on the chance some will get stuck. First chick to hatch was a mixed EE from my own stock, and hatched "wet", all gluey and gross, bits of shell stuck all over, and free liquid left behind in his shell (which shouldn't happen). I expect at least a couple more like him. He's a strong S.O.B. to make it out when he was all goopy. Now that most of the eggs have pipped, I want to avoid more of those if possible, and opening the incubator will make them gluey faster. But better gluey than drowning.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 am

windwalkingwolf wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:49 am
I'm SO excited! I thought he was black or blue with a bit of brownish red on his head...but he's not. Now that he's dry, I can see he's got blue undercolour and brownish red streaks all over his body. I have never had any chicks with his down colour/pattern, so I'm absolutely thrilled and hope I get to watch him grow up! He DOES have brabanter nares (so I'm hopeful for a crest although there's no sign of one at the moment) and those eyes, great big liquid pools of cuteness! And, he's definitely got muffs and beard. He's going to be a stunner!
I think you're right - he/she should be a real looker. My full Brabanter chick is only now starting to show signs of any kind of crest, so I think that may yet happen for your Charlie jr. #1 chick as well.
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Number two Charlie baby is out! I haven't got pics yet, but number two is a beautiful light-medium silvery blue colour, with silver (white) eyebrows and wingtips. It looks like he's got the nares, beard, and those huge puppy dog eyes too.
:dance:
:yay: for #2's successful hatch! Will wait somewhat patiently for pics ... :-)
windwalkingwolf wrote:
Both Charlie babies so far have hatched very textbook, and are up and strong, but are fat with swollen feet. Nothing I can do about that except hope everyone else makes it out ok, and not be too surprised if I get some quitters that die. I checked all eggs for pips when I snatched Charlie Junior #1 out, and all were pipped...but two pips were on the underside of the egg (not usually a big deal unless humidity is stupid, which it is, but these guys are active, breathing and chirping) and two are at the wrong end. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on the wrong-end guys. They are also breathing and chirping, but may not be able to turn to get themselves out.
Oh, the suspense! Keeping my fingers crossed for those "pipped at the wrong end of the egg" chicks. :xfingers:
windwalkingwolf wrote:
After my uncontrollable excitement of Charlie baby number one, I've been sitting on my hands...I have other babies besides Charlie's hatching in there, and I can't just snatch each one out to take a picture on the chance some will get stuck. First chick to hatch was a mixed EE from my own stock, and hatched "wet", all gluey and gross, bits of shell stuck all over, and free liquid left behind in his shell (which shouldn't happen). I expect at least a couple more like him. He's a strong S.O.B. to make it out when he was all goopy. Now that most of the eggs have pipped, I want to avoid more of those if possible, and opening the incubator will make them gluey faster. But better gluey than drowning.
I had wet hatch problems with my hatch too. Is that because humidity was too high?

Looking forward to the next update ... :pop:
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Fri May 24, 2019 7:25 pm

More pics! All Charlie babies have hatched, and all the rest except one straggler. Except for CJ #1 and #2, I can't tell who is who without glasses on.
20190524_190430.jpg
20190524_190838.jpg
20190524_190447.jpg
20190524_190905.jpg
20190524_190515.jpg
20190524_190641.jpg
20190524_190552.jpg
20190524_190719.jpg
20190524_190735.jpg
20190524_190756.jpg
Attachments
20190524_190735.jpg

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Fri May 24, 2019 7:33 pm

OMG they're all so gorgeous! Congratulations on an amazing hatch rate!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri May 24, 2019 8:31 pm

Adorable!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Love the colours, interesting to see what they grow up to look like.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:59 am

Wow! Congratulations on a awesome hatch. Great looking chicks!

Return to “Photos”