Not purple but I got dark olive finally!

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Not purple but I got dark olive finally!

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:01 am

I've got one girl that lays a really light minty blue-green that goes to a darker olive colour depending on the time of year and the size of egg she shoots out. Mostly depending on size of egg. Her smaller eggs are much darker than medium eggs, which are darker than large eggs. She's all over the board in size, but I've never had a blue egg from her...though given her history, if she managed to lay an extra large egg, it might be close to blue because of the thin-ness of the "paint" on it. Blue to olive is definitely theoretically possible.

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:53 am

@PEI Chicken , @Jaye Me too!

I have one Olive Egger in each of my 2 coops. So, when I get a blue egg I'm more than surprised. Since, I know there aren't any other hens that throw those coloured eggs they have to be from my OE. I'm happy to post pictures when I get some colours variations. Right now one of the hens is moulting..no eggs.

Pollo Caballo
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Post by Pollo Caballo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:40 am

Yes I have previously had an Ameraucana x Welsumer hen that would lay a mid teal green to olive shade of egg also. It would be olive at the start of her lay cycle and get more teal coloured and lighter at the end as she seemed run out of brown tint! I find all my coloured eggs get lighter in general the larger the eggs get. That hen's egg was never as dark as this egg even when she was a pullet and the egg was at its darkest. It did have more speckles though!
It will be interesting to see if this pullet ( my daughter named her Pandora) runs out of brown paint at some point. I may have a hard time to tell what is her egg then though as she is in my Ameraucana/ easter egger pen and I have four blue Egger's and three other green Egger's already in there!

Return to “Photos”