Baldy the Weirdo

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Last year I put a barred rooster over some black hens, to make some sex linked chicks. What hatched were 2 barred cockerels, 3 black pullets, and this guy, "Baldy". I guess boys like him are the reason most hatcheries only offer 90-ish percent sexing accuracy on sexlinks.
He's called Baldy because he had nothing but baby down up until very recently, despite being FOUR MONTHS OLD. Hence his bedraggled look, and his position of note as "House Chicken". Despite his immature plumage, he's been feeling his oats lately and has been clumsily attempting to mount the dog, in between bouts of using him as a ride-on toy/transportaion.
Interestingly, all the boys (including Baldy) from this cross, inherited the body type of the mother hens, deep keeled black Orpingtons...and the girls all got a more streamlined Rock shape from the father. Not sure if that was just chance/coincidence or not.
This fellow will be lunch one day, but he's endlessly amusing in the meanwhile!
Attachments
20160202_192418.jpg
20160202_185702.jpg
20160202_185713.jpg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by WLLady » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:05 pm

Genetic traits commonly pass from dad to daughter and mom to son in chickens...hens are zw while cocks are zz....so all girls get dads traits because he donates a z chromosome to every girl....has to do with the sex linking of many traits in chickens (like barring etc). Some breeders will plan their breedings based on this-if they want better girls use the best male over the girls...if the males are lacking then use the best hens with any male....that way the best hopefully pass to the other sex and then back breed once and get more "good" birds....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

JimW
Head Chicken
Answers: 2

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Interesting little guy.

Maybe I am wrong but if your crossed a barred roo with black hen, all the offspring should have been barred, no sex-linked, so he definitely is unique.
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

windwalkingwolf

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:26 pm

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST Interesting little guy.

Maybe I am wrong but if your crossed a barred roo with black hen, all the offspring should have been barred, no sex-linked, so he definitely is unique.
HAHAHA! I guess nobody told any of these guys how they were supposed to turn out! Dad bird IS a bit of a wildcard though, being barred: I only ever had two barred birds before him, both hens, and I'm reasonably positive he didn't come from either of those.
Baldy is special in other ways too, he's quite a bit smaller than his siblings, but weighs the same. He wasn't wasting calories trying to fly without feathers, I guess LOL
WLLady wrote:QR_BBPOST Genetic traits commonly pass from dad to daughter and mom to son in chickens...hens are zw while cocks are zz....so all girls get dads traits because he donates a z chromosome to every girl....has to do with the sex linking of many traits in chickens (like barring etc). Some breeders will plan their breedings based on this-if they want better girls use the best male over the girls...if the males are lacking then use the best hens with any male....that way the best hopefully pass to the other sex and then back breed once and get more "good" birds....
Interesting! I have a dreadful example of a Black Giant rooster which sires TERRIBLE god-awful males, but some of the best pullets I own. Very shortly I'm going to find out what he throws over his pullets as well as their mothers, and hopefully I'll start getting some useable boys out of him. If not, I have a decent rooster that throws ugly girls but ok boys!

Brian
Fuzzy Dinosaur Stage

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by Brian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 pm

I like your chicken coop. You went all out. Put down flooring, put in a wood stove for heat and gave them a kitchen table to eat at.

I like it.

windwalkingwolf

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 pm

HAHAHAHA! Clean linens daily, and even room service! Never do anything halfway, I always say :D

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by WLLady » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:20 am

Oh, and i also should add, that your barred male wasn't double barred (pure) if he threw non-barred girls....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Baldy the Weirdo

Post by Robbie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:23 am

JimW wrote:QR_BBPOST Interesting little guy.

This is true if the rooster is pure for barred - he will be light barred B/B. If he's heterozygous, only half barred, B/b+ he will be dark barred, (looking like a barred hen) hen, and half his chicks will not be barred b+/b+
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Return to “Photos”