Christmas goose

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Christmas goose

Post by Happy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:29 pm

When Happy was a chick I tied a scarf around my waist and he rode in it lol. I actually mowed the entire lawn with him like that one day. I never did find anything that kept him quiet other than being with me. Tried mirrors, toys, clock, all sorts of beds. I did slip him under a fleece blanket to sleep and dimmed the light quickly. He was fine so long as he was covered and it was dark.

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:54 am

He finally settled around 4:30 in the morning. When I woke up, he was still under his towel, talking happily to himself in between naps, until I said something, then out he popped like a jack-in-the-box, ready to take on the day. Wish I could have said the same! Then last night I covered him and his box just before I went to work, and he settled right away. I was thrilled, but it turned out to be a mistake, because he woke up when I got home, and wouldn't settle again until 8 in the morning roflmbo :gaah:
Tonight before I left, I boxed him again. I'm home now, and can hear him happily talking away to himself, and I'm taking great pains not to disturb him this time ;) I have some gift wrapping to do, which would be impossible with a little pooper zooming around.
Ontario Chick wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:35 pm
Baby bouncy seat? little Einstein toy? iPod? Snuglee? or whatever they are called these days?
Kangaroo pouch? perhaps attached to a teeny weeny kangaroo? ;)
You know you are doomed now right? ;)
I knew I was probably in trouble the instant I realized that the goose egg was going to hatch and the chicken egg wasn't. Or perhaps even before that, when I knew what having waterfowl in the house is like, and set the egg despite myself. Because... goslings. Sigh.
@Killerbunny , he can't live with the house chickens...if I put him with them now, they'd kill him, if I wait until he's big enough to hold his own, Nugget will pluck them bald. Geese don't have much tolerance for chickens after a certain age. Sigh.
Oh, by the way, I have no idea if Nugget is actually a boy. I can't even tell the adult Embdens apart unless I catch one on a nest or on a goose :D

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:27 am

Vian wants to know if it pisses off your FIL in which case it's probably worth it!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:55 am

DO geese have a penis like ducks? My boss at the Game Conservancy did a paper on rapid sexing of downy anatidae and I wondered if it would apply?
Mutt chickens for eggs

the chickenvilla
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by the chickenvilla » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:42 am

Hi, we had single goslings before and raised them in the house for the first few weeks ( okay gosling don't smell very nice after a few days)
we put a little toy in which looked like a duck - they would cuddle right up to it.
and the gander we raised a couple of year ago lives with chickens - and see's them as his flock and keeps anything away from them- he will not go with the geese - he is a "chicken"

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:55 am
DO geese have a penis like ducks? My boss at the Game Conservancy did a paper on rapid sexing of downy anatidae and I wondered if it would apply?
Yes they.do! Do you think you could sex Nugget based on the information in the paper? I've never had the guts to try and vent sex anything, I'm afraid I'll hurt them ;)

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:34 pm

I don't know. It doesn't involve vent sexing but the 1o characteristic of the penis changes the hormones somehow. Try to feel down his neck for an adams apple like lump. SHoot I just checked the paper and the "bulla" or syrinx is absent. Sorry.
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Photos”