Hurry back girls!

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Hurry back girls!

Post by TomK » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:08 am

Good morning to everyone...not the greatest read what with everyone on the cusp of having to buy eggs...i am also on the decrease but not quite as bad as some...i have two separate flocks on the go...my original barred rocks of which i still have 11 and joined by 4 blk sex links and one easter egger...at the moment this group is yielding about 10 eggs a day which seems not bad given their age and what i am reading from you "guys"...the other bunch is smaller, comprised of 7 rhode island reds and 2 mutt leghorns...these freelaoders are maybe, and thats a big maybe, yielding two eggs a day...so i have a few eggs to sell but it's at the point that i have had to warn my customers that supply is limited....i love the rocks and the easter eggers...the RIRs not so much...at least on the egg laying side....
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 pm

I cooked my old girls 6 of my precious eggs this morning! I'm feeling guilty that they are suddenly confined to their pen most days since I've gone back to work :(
Little the banty started to lay again so I'm up to 3 layers-about 13 eggs a week. All the adults but 1 have finished dropping their feathers. One old girl still feeling very ill and mostly naked. I hate molt. I'm seeing combines out in the fields tonight furiously getting corn off so that usually means snow coming very soon.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:01 am

They just look so incredibly miserable. 2 of my poor turkey girls are naked too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:11 am

Back up to 3 eggs a day and the Broody is back to laying and ignoring the chick. Most are now at least half way through their moults and the one baldy was wise enough to do it before the cold and rain!
Former dairy shepherd and owner of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd pup.

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:44 am

Happy, I wouldn't feel too guilty about penning them...it's for their own safety...I have mine penned mainly because I don't feel like fencing my garden and if they were out my oldest dog would be the predator...when i am away I would shudder to think what he would manage to do...they do well, it's a large pen and all i have to stay on top of is to make sure that they get lots of veggies and scratch...didn't take them long to denude the area of everything except a small oak tree, funny how they leave it alone..
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 am

Slowly increasing here to 4-5 eggs a day, but looking at the weather in comping week I wouldn't blame them if they went on strike.
I keep adding fresh straw in the run to give them something to scratch at, , but at this point it doesn't stay dry too long.

Return to “Photos”