Finally got my very own chicken TV

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Finally got my very own chicken TV

Post by Robbie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:35 am

Congratulations, this will be fun!
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:55 am

poultry_admin wrote: That's awsome!! So for us tech geeks (hubbies), what make/model of camera did he get you? How did you overcome the dust problem?
The pics look awesome!
The reflective ring around the waterer is an art effect with reflections. Not much can be done about that imho except changing all kinds of angles (lights, waterer, lense, ....) And that is just not feasible.
I can't help a lot with details on the camera, other than it's a "made in China special". TENVIS I believe is the brand name.
It has 6 preset positions you can specify plus it can pan what looks like almost 360 degrees in any direction. It also has camera and video capability, but haven't gotten to figuring out how to configure that yet. Oh and it also has two-way audio, although we haven't figured out how to make audio to the camera work yet.
We haven't exactly overcome the dust problem yet, except to have it mounted right up against the rafters, where there's not as much dust, I hope. Until we get an enclosed plexiglas box built around it, I'll be at it with the swiffer duster on a regular basis. It shouldn't take long to make the box, though, maybe by next weekend it will have its own "hermetically sealed" housing. It will probably affect the optics a bit though.
I quite like the reflective ring around the waterer. Like you said, it's very "artsy". ;-)
TomK wrote:Never gets old watching the organization on the roost..lol...great pic Jaye..thank you
IKR? It's fun to listen to the conversation on the roost when they are settling in for the night.
windwalkingwolf wrote:Cool! And it transmits to phone, laptop, etc?
Yep, I can view from laptop at the moment, and though the capability is there to view from smart phones, hubby wasn't all that keen on an unsecure connection to a server in China somewhere, so until we can figure out how to set up our own server, I'm happy with just viewing when I'm at home.
Ontario Chick wrote:Love it, not getting it, nothing would get done around the house. :)
lol, it's true - I did spend quite a bit of time watching. But the kitchen work still got done, since I have a monitor set up in the corner there.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Oh i love it!!!!!! maybe someday i'll get one figured out....mostly i want a hatching cam. if i try to film all 15 lines i'll need 15 cameras, plus a coop cam, and at least 2 hatching cams....LOL. maybe i just better start by figuring 1 out..... :-) i am very very impressed you got the kitchen work done, much more disciplined than i would be.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 am

This sounds like a must do for us esp in the broody coops!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:35 am

Yes, it would be a fun thing to have in broody coops for sure!
So far the camera is behaving beautifully in the cold temps. Hope it stays that way.
Also, thanks to the camera, another mystery has been solved for me:
I had noticed over the last week or so when I went down to close things up for the night, that Memphis, who is still not back in full feather (but getting there), had been sitting behind the main roost on the poop board when everyone else was already settled on the roost. A couple of times I put her up on the roost in the empty spot, because I was concerned that she would stay there all night once the lights went out. Not a good spot, since she would almost certainly get pooped on, plus she'd be way too close to the ammonia fumes and the moisture coming off the chicken's droppings. Turns out, I don't need to worry, because either just before the coop light goes out or just after, depending on when the rest of the girls are dozing off, she hops up on the roost, never stays on the poop board. Apparently there is still enough red light coming from under the waterer for her to navigate her way to the roost. Hubby said that when he checked on camera this morning just before the coop light came on, Memphis had woken up before any of the others, and had made her way to the coop floor. Clever girl - a low ranking hen figuring out a conflict avoidance system.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:40 am

Wheew, that's a relief for you!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:46 am

Good stuff , like said before , give um a way & they will be chickens & do fine without interference . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 am

It's interesting to see how the different temperament hens deal with molt according to their pecking order,
Assuming that the molt is somewhat painful, I have watched how the molting hen in the Ameraucana pen avoids being jostled, not going to the "breakfast tray" until everybody had their fill, and in the Wyandotte pen the molting hen deals with it by snarking at everybody until she had her fill and stops paying attention, they definitely have their ways and now you have a front seat to that, very cool indeed. :)

Return to “Photos”