Craziest batch yet

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Craziest batch yet

Post by Happy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Brebis wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:52 pm
Yummm, looks like a tomato hornworm, mine love them!
Yes it was-a small one. Strange thing was it was crawling on the ground nowhere near my garden. It was a 6 chick chase and tug of war that lasted for a few minutes before someone finally disposed of it!

Happy

Post by Happy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:02 am

OMG. This guy thinks he's the boss of me already! He started feeding me treats yesterday and gets very angry when I don't eat them.
IMG_6389.JPG

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:21 pm

Ha! Ha! Ha! Too cute!

windwalkingwolf
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 am

I've got a little guy like that, only about 6 weeks old. If I put my hand flat down near him, he runs over making the "I found food" noise, does a little tap dance while scraping at my fingers (precursor to mating behaviour) and then jumps right into my hand and cuddles in like a little baby. He's going to be TROUBLE when he's older. My own personal experience is that boys this precocious grow up to think hands and boots are pretty sexy. Or hens, pullets, chicks, ducks, the ground, a rock, anything really. Lots of people mistake this for aggressive behaviour, when it's just a very virile, precocious, friendly cockerel. These young bloomers can mate MANY hens with no fertility loss. And your hands, boots, whatever LOL ...but they're not picky and can kill chicks if they have access to them. They'll mount chicks and kill them either with the head grab, or crushing them during 'the dance', or just shock.The more hens they have, the better.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 am

Lucky used to Looooove my boots until he looked up and realised his mistake!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy

Post by Happy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:13 am

6 weeks old now. These guys have been free ranging with the general population for the past week unsupervised. They have things like wagons and wheel barrels to jump on or under if needed but everyone leaves them alone. They're a smart bunch. As much as I'm sure some roll their eyes at the way I treat my chickens I do have a theory about raising healthy and socialized chicks and that is that I don't baby them lol. They learn early to get out of others way. I've made the mistake before of keeping chicks separate for too long and then I had horrible integration issues. These guys still have separate sleeping quarters and will graduate once my broody is done with her chicks. I think I have 2 girls out of this group of 6. 1 Cochin and 1 mixed chick. My little favorite guy is 100% a boy :( Actually all of these boys are awesome and friendly little guys. I'm hoping my neighbor wants a rooster (or 4 lol)
It's been really interesting watching the mixed chicks compared to the pure Cochin chicks. The mixed guys are much more curious, precocious and brave (like the rocks). They are the ones to push boundaries and explore and the first to find bugs. The Cochins hang back, rest more and are happy to follow. This goes for both sexes. Also the mixed chicks are very sturdy, muscular little things.
IMG_6474.JPG
The middle one is pure Cochin girl. The one on right is my fav little character boy. It's impossible to get a pic of all 6 together now!

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:50 pm

IMG_7101.JPG
IMG_7093.JPG
These boys are turning out quite handsome.

Return to “Photos”