Buddies for Biscuit

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Re: Buddies for Biscuit

Post by Jaye » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:08 am

By P.D. Eastman ... I loved that book as a kid!
Oh dear! Sounds like you have some integration challenges ahead.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:20 pm

So Biscuit is 6 weeks old as of yesterday and Jan and Dean are two days younger.
It's looking to me like Jan is a male. Jan chest bumped Penelope when she challenged it earlier. I'm doing the next phase of integration today: I opened the gate that separates the little ones from the main run. The only surprise for me was Penelope. I wasn't expecting her to be the aggressor; I was prepared for Memphis, but she couldn't care less about them except when they came too close to whatever she was interested in. There have been a few squawks but it seems like there are no major issues so far. Tonight they go back the safety of their little coop and run. Tomorrow after work they will be in general population again. Anyway, I digress: I wanted to post some pics from today and hopefully get some guesses on gender. From where I'm standing, Jan's comb and wattles look like they are pinking up. :-/
IMG_20170904_112603~2.jpg
IMG_20170904_111926.jpg
Last edited by Jaye on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Aww so cute :)
Jan does look a little suspicious...that tail especially but totally a guess from this eye. From my batch of 6 there's only one that I'm fairly confident is female so 2 outta 3 aint bad ;)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Looks like a male and 2 females, the black and white one the male.

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by windwalkingwolf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm going to squint REALLY hard and hope even harder I didn't give you boys. Gah! Is the silver one Jan, and does he have any brown, red or yellow on him anywhere?

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Yep, Jan is the silver/black/white one. I've been squinting really hard lately too, WWW. I don't see any other colouring anywhere on Jan besides the aforementioned colours. :-(
p.s. WWW, you didn't give me boys - I picked them out myself, remember? Oh well. Two girls for every boy, as the song goes. ;-)
Happy, you're right, it could have been much worse.
Kenya, I was always pretty sure that at least Biscuit was a girl. That would be awful, though if after all that bird has overcome, she winds up being a "he".
Last edited by Jaye on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:18 pm

So this is the first time I read this thread....disgusting! Chickens are not pets! They are farm animals! They should lay eggs with the story ending in the oven with a sprig of rosemary or a stew pot with some carrots! Cute?....hrrumph! You give us all a bad name (and I think my RIR bantams are cuter!)
:beer: :farmer:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm

baronrenfrew wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:18 pm
So this is the first time I read this thread....disgusting! Chickens are not pets! They are farm animals! They should lay eggs with the story ending in the oven with a sprig of rosemary or a stew pot with some carrots! Cute?....hrrumph! You give us all a bad name (and I think my RIR bantams are cuter!)
:beer: :farmer:
Baron, if your RIR bantams are so much cuter, where is the proof? All I see are pictures of geese. ;-)

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:45 am

Yup Baron has some barn blindness going on, can't tell geese from chickens. Put some glasses on boy!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

(Egg on face) despite going through two phones and an ipad I have no relevant chick pics.

My geese got lots of pics!
image.jpg
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Return to “Photos”