Buddies for Biscuit

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Re: Buddies for Biscuit

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:02 pm

With Jan's colour pattern, and no red leakage yet, I'm still holding out hope that he's a girl. That sort of silver partridge pattern NEVER happens in boys unless muddied by other colours and patterns. But, the comb says male to me. If he stays that colour and turns out to be male, I will not only take him back, I'll pay $$ for him with a song in my heart! I can see a bit of barring and a bit of mottling, but if a boy, 99.99>% he'll have gold develop somewhere. He's young yet though, so we'll see.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level

Post by Jaye » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm with you, WWW - ever holding out hope. He/she is a real character and has very interesting colouring. I'm so enjoying them all.
BTW, the woolly hen has been through its beta testing and as a result, there have been some design iterations/improvements as they've grown ... we've come up with a "roof" constructed with flashing, so that they won't perch on/poop on the top of the hen, and have added leg extensions to raise the height to accommodate their growth. They are still crawling under it on cooler nights. I made a second hen so that I can switch out while one is being washed. I have been using a mesh delicates laundry bag to wash and dry the wool strips ... works great. If you want a roof for yours, WWW, we can make one up fairly easily.
I will post a photo of the one we have in use shortly.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Here it is.
IMG_20170905_175308.jpg
IMG_20170905_175045.jpg
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Brilliant! Hubby has to do a plumbing job this weekend, I'm hoping he'll have some PEX cutoffs I can use for extensions.

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 pm

@Jaye did you figure out if that silver one was a girl or boy yet? Curious minds need to know!

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 pm

@Happy , pretty sure it's a boy. I'll know for sure when I hear an attempt at crowing. Nothing yet, but they're still only 8 weeks old, so ...

Happy

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 pm

At least Biscuit will have one friend. How many chickens do you have altogether?
My little ones FINALLY put themselves in the coop tonight without me chasing them around lol. They're party animals.

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes, I'm happy that she'll have a friend. I currently have 4 "oldsters" and the three "youngsters". The maximum number I should keep comfortably in the coop for the winter months (i.e., no significant behaviour issues) is 6-7 anyway.

Return to “Photos”