Baked goods - the day after hatch day

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Baked goods - the day after hatch day

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 am

Hubby gets to hang out with Cookie and Biscuit during the day.
I'm jealous.
Biscuit is the chick that was briefly known as Croquette; we decided that Biscuit suited her better after all. We call her Bicky for short.

He sent me this video he took of them venturing out from under their woolly nanny, exploring their brooder.
Half baked0.mp4
(901.27 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
They look like tiny drunks. LOL

Not sure if the video uploaded correctly from my phone so I will try it from home tonight.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Re: Baked goods - the day after hatch day

Post by Happy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 am

I see house chickens in your future! Baby socks can be quickly made into tiny chick diapers. Just FYI lol

Colleen Kinzie
Free Ranging

Post by Colleen Kinzie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 am

So sweet. Love the names!!
Glad you were able to save them

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:14 am

Happy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 am
I see house chickens in your future! Baby socks can be quickly made into tiny chick diapers. Just FYI lol
:shocked: Oh Nooooooo! No house chickens please!
Hubby is building a small tractor coop that we can hopefully put inside the run, so that they can be seen but not touched until they are big enough to join the rest. For now they get to stay inside with their woolly mama.
Colleen Kinzie wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 am
So sweet. Love the names!!
Glad you were able to save them
Thanks! Brebis actually suggested their names, and I thought they were perfect. (Thanks, Brebis!)
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:43 pm

I think Bicky is going to be ok! Good job, chicken mama!

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes, I agree: I think that Bicky will be okay. I'm still applying iodine to her "crusty" twice a day, but I imagine it will sort itself out soon. It's not affecting her general health, I don't think. Cookie, on the other hand, is a bit of a concern. Can't get her to drink without dropping water on her beak with an eye dropper. Bicky now runs towards the eyedropper but Cookie runs away when she sees it. I've been dropping food and picking it up in front of both of them. Bicky pecks at what has been dropped. Cookie just pecks at her sister's feet. :sAng_banghead:
p.s. I did do the dip the beak into waterer thing, but neither of them went back to the waterer after that. Or the feed dish, for that matter. I've been hand feeding. Bicky finally got at the feed dish of her own accord this evening and was going to town on it. Neither of them like soaked and mashed dog kibble; however, chick starter, cooked scotch oats, and scrambled eggs are okay. Also a few little bits of green grape.

Happy

Post by Happy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm far from the most experienced on here but found out by accident that chicks go crazy for oatmeal flakes. I had one with poopy butt and knew oatmeal would remedy loose stool so chopped up fine and sprinkled on their food and they all went nuts (after doing that "what the hell is that" squeal first). Might be worth a shot. Come on Cookie. You've jumped too many hurdles in life already! Get it together!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 am

they also likely won't be very hungry or thirsty for a couple of days because they still have all that yolk inside to process. if she's pecking that's great. i line my brooder with paper towel and then spread food all over the bottom, so when they randomly peck things they are likely to get a taste of it. the water sometimes with difficult birds i will make little balls of tinfoil and throw them in the water...they're shiny and the birds peck at them to see what they are and in doing the pecking get a bit of water...just make the balls smaller than the depth of the water in the dish so they float around. maybe that can entice her to start trying to eat and drink better.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Jaye

Post by Jaye » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks, WLLady and Happy for your great tips.
Cookie has us worried this morning. She still has no interest in food of any kind that we have offered thus far. Bicky, on the other hand, is eating most things I pick up and drop in front of her with gusto. She's eating scotch oatmeal off my fingers, and likes bits of scrambled egg too. She's also picking at the starter/grower feed quite a bit now. Cookie won't stop cheeping, so she's obviously hungry, but she won't peck at any food, just her sister.
I mixed up some Sav-A-Chick (electrolytes) in water before I left for work and hubby gave them both some by eye dropper - he focused more on giving as much as possible to Cookie, of course.
I will definitely put some tinfoil balls in their waterer, and will spread some feed on paper towels too. Thanks again!

kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Post by kenya » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 am

Is Cookie cold usually they only cherp when they are cold.

Return to “Photos”