Battening down the hatches and taking stock..

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:43 am

There's a farm in Vermont that teaches courses on how to homestead; plant a garden, chop wood, butcher a chicken, weed a garden etc. $1000 for a weekend course of workshops

Its a great deal :farmer: :big chicken:
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am

If someone wants to come and butcher my chickens, chop my wood and weed my garden, I'll only charge them 1/10 of that :D

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:14 am

You mercenary types, I would let them do it for free ;)

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:22 am

OC...in todays world if its free its worthless. The more they pay for it, the more its worth!
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:37 am

$1850 for 10 days next summer

What skills will I be exposed to? We practice the following techniques and tool uses in this course in addition to others.

Design process in the context of a professional landscape architectural firm and practicing designers
Medicine production and making from our in-house naturopathic doctor and herbalist
Mushroom log inoculation (shiitake) on site
Blade sharpening: scythes, knives, sickles, axes Scything/pasture and yard management with scythes
Forest management
Fruit harvesting
Putting up and processing foods and medicines via various methods
Waterworks for home and farms
Many other rural living and farm/homesteading techniques simply by living on the active farm site for the duration

I looked at the website last winter...I bough the guy's book $45...and his videos on youtube...Ben Falk of Whole Systems Design
http://www.wholesystemsdesign.com/perma ... gn-course/

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:31 pm

You know what's funny (though really not) is past summer/fall, I PAID "experienced" people to come give me a hand...Not a damn thing got done unless I was there taking them through it step by step, and most of the time I had to fix or redo anyway. Clearly, I've been going about this all wrong!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:59 pm

windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST You know what's funny (though really not) is past summer/fall, I PAID "experienced" people to come give me a hand...Not a damn thing got done unless I was there taking them through it step by step, and most of the time I had to fix or redo anyway. Clearly, I've been going about this all wrong!
roflmbo
Only laughing because I did the same thing two summers in the row, with exactly the same results while the helper kept saying, "I should really be paying you, because I am learning so much" , which was a lie, because when I visited her garden I could tell she didn't learn a thing roflmbo
Highlight of that experience, we still laugh about, DH planted carrots using a chicken wire for spacing and when the many tiny seedlings appeared, you know the first little feathery carrot shoot, I pointed the out the bed and asked the carrots be weeded.
Perhaps I wasn't completely clear, but you guessed it, it took a long time, but she pulled every last one of those carrot seedlings out.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Our next house WILL have a barn!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Yes... We live in a world where people are clueless. They don't know vegetables grow in the ground or that chickens lay only one egg per day (boy it was hard not to give a stupid look when someone asked me about that). If you pay for a course...you pay attention. This is a hammer...it is used for hitting nails...

On a side note Ben Falk at Whole Systems Design has some brilliant ideas we should all look closer at. The high price also reduces demand so they don't get 4000 people showing up.
"A high performance earth sheltered greenhouse"...interesting....

windwalkingwolf

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST
windwalkingwolf wrote:QR_BBPOST You know what's funny (though really not) is past summer/fall, I PAID "experienced" people to come give me a hand...Not a damn thing got done unless I was there taking them through it step by step, and most of the time I had to fix or redo anyway. Clearly, I've been going about this all wrong!
roflmbo
Only laughing because I did the same thing two summers in the row, with exactly the same results while the helper kept saying, "I should really be paying you, because I am learning so much" , which was a lie, because when I visited her garden I could tell she didn't learn a thing roflmbo
Highlight of that experience, we still laugh about, DH planted carrots using a chicken wire for spacing and when the many tiny seedlings appeared, you know the first little feathery carrot shoot, I pointed the out the bed and asked the carrots be weeded.
Perhaps I wasn't completely clear, but you guessed it, it took a long time, but she pulled every last one of those carrot seedlings out.
OMG. For me, it was half my corn. And, how to use a staple gun 101. And, how to join two pieces of wood using a drill and screw. And, and, and. At least I only lost half my corn.
baronrenfrew wrote:QR_BBPOST Yes... We live in a world where people are clueless. They don't know vegetables grow in the ground or that chickens lay only one egg per day (boy it was hard not to give a stupid look when someone asked me about that). If you pay for a course...you pay attention. This is a hammer...it is used for hitting nails...

On a side note Ben Falk at Whole Systems Design has some brilliant ideas we should all look closer at. The high price also reduces demand so they don't get 4000 people showing up.
"A high performance earth sheltered greenhouse"...interesting....
Bert, I'm thinking of writing a book myself. I'm going to title it "Crap your Mother Should Have Taught You", and will include such basics as making a sandwich (my 10 year old niece can't cut her own food, never mind cook something), changing oil and tires, hanging pictures, sharpening knives, and perhaps How Eggs are Made and How Often lol. $45 will include a bonus dvd on changing light bulbs and watering tomatoes. Think anyone would buy it, or should I raise the price to $150 and include a two hour workshop on shoveling poop and a lecture on "Whetstones--for Shovels, too!":D

Return to “Photos”