Our coops & yard

Let's see them!!!!
Forum rules
Any images that depict illegal acts or subject manner will be removed. You retain rights to your photos but by posting them here you also are agreeing to giving rights to PTO to remove or alter these pictures (size adjustment for example) as needed. To maintain memory usage at a low level we are entertaining deleting photos after a certain time period which at this point will be determined by the time when we run out of data storage capacity.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Our coops & yard

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:48 am

Looks great, how well does it work in the winter for the birds and your comfort?

KimChick
Head Chicken

Our coops & yard

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:36 am

Ontario Chick wrote:QR_BBPOST Looks great, how well does it work in the winter for the birds and your comfort?
This will be our first winter. We have had to shovel snow out of the yard once; the wind blew it right into the yard making a nice large drift.
This is a pic after we shoveled snow out of the yard this November after the first snowfall. It's almost all melted away by today.
This is a pic after we shoveled snow out of the yard this November after the first snowfall. It's almost all melted away by today.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Our coops & yard

Post by Happy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 am

I'm so happy to read that someone else shovels snow for their chickens! Lol
I loathe snow and cold but go shovel the girls paths and put straw down so they can venture outside!

KimChick
Head Chicken

Our coops & yard

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:01 am

Happy wrote:QR_BBPOST I'm so happy to read that someone else shovels snow for their chickens! Lol
I loathe snow and cold but go shovel the girls paths and put straw down so they can venture outside!
Yup, a path was shoveled first, then we later shoveled out the rest and put down more straw.

Satellite
On the Roost

Our coops & yard

Post by Satellite » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:58 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST I lost 35 birds in one night this summer to a coon and it was horrible.
I had no idea how bad they were until this summer--bloody monsters!

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Our coops & yard

Post by thegawd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Satellite wrote:QR_BBPOST
thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST I lost 35 birds in one night this summer to a coon and it was horrible.
I concur! I have declared no quarter on all predators around here. if they stay in the bush, fine, but if they come to the house game over. I hope you didnt loose as many birds as I did but numbers really dont matter when it comes to the devastation a coon can cause.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Our coops & yard

Post by ross » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Least a coon can be eaten when you get um . Weasel (stoat) is a little to small . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Satellite
On the Roost

Our coops & yard

Post by Satellite » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:49 pm

thegawd wrote:QR_BBPOST
Satellite wrote:QR_BBPOST
I concur! I have declared no quarter on all predators around here. if they stay in the bush, fine, but if they come to the house game over. I hope you didnt loose as many birds as I did but numbers really dont matter when it comes to the devastation a coon can cause.
10 babies and my daughter's summer business was raising meat birds in chicken tractors. ...they killed 4 and ate the leg off another one. It was still alive when we found it. It was not pretty. Funny thing is we have never seen a racoon until this year. Not once in 4 years. Foxes daily, but never racoons. A fox ran up and took a baby not 10 feet from me this summer! That is understandable. ., annoying but understandable since we are 20 feet from their den....

JimW
Head Chicken

Our coops & yard

Post by JimW » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:11 pm

That looks like a great set up, want to come over and finish building my coop.

I agree with Al though, I would upgrade the fencing, especially if you do not lock your birds in the coops at night. I did not see any wifelife bigger than a squirrel on my property for the 1st year and a half, then I got chickens, still nothing for almost a year, then 1 day a fox appeared, then raccoons. I have lost birds a few times and have trapped 2 foxes and 5 raccoons in just over the last year. Now most of my pens are 1"x1" welded wire or chainlink fencing with chicken wire attached.

Again great set up and best of luck.

Jim
Keeping poultry with my 2 daughters since 2014.
Ayam cemani, BC Marans, Legbars (Gold Crele, Opal and White), Mosaics, Hmongs and Cuckoo Malines
Black & Blue Poultry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1357630357612951/

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Our coops & yard

Post by ross » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Critter pens are like drive thru burger joints to wild life . Build um & they will eventually come . Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Photos”