Good Morning 2024

General discussion forum.
WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Good Morning 2024

Post by WLLady » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:48 pm

Toby hasn't got that far yet-but he did bark and growl at a dog on the television the other night.....LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 am

Good morning. Its a nice one, but cold! -6C. Its supposed to warm up to 0C today, and then this week, looks like spring is returning.

Been eating lettuce I've been planting all winter, in window boxes under lights in the basement. Its about 10C, or a little cooler... and it does so great! Much better than outside. This is what it looks like when I plant, then 2.5 weeks later. The trick is to keep more planted, but you can also get 3 cuttings out of it, if you do NOT cut out the heart.
20231226_134920.jpg
20240220_114749.jpg
I've also got radishes planted, and holy, they came up quick, and in 5 days, looked like this!
20240321_185402.jpg
We've been splitting a lot of wood, and this row was completely gone when we started. Its almost done now, the bare section needs topping up.
20240316_181458.jpg
20240316_181527.jpg
Hopefully we can get out there this morning... chores are done cattle wise... but Jeremy has to move straw bales upstairs before we can start. Gary hurt his back (its not been great for awhile, as hes been cleaning out fence rows, and bringing up logs etc), so when Jeremy is done, hopefully Gary can run the splitter, while we can split and stack, and at least get the one section done. They cleaned a fence row totally, got a big hoe in, and now we have one big field, instead of 2 smaller ones. Course, some nice oaks and cherry (... well, they were rotted in the middle some) were taken out, and holy, that stuff is HEAVY, and huge. Being a fence row line... we are running into ancient nine-wire fencing embedded in the wood.

Still a bit early, until the end of this month, to seed onions and other stuff. Too early to do tomatoes, but peppers can be started. Since I've been keeping a journal on planting... I can see when I've been starting stuff too early, seeing as how I don't put peppers and tomatoes into the garden until the first week in June. But... being bored at the end of January, I did start a few Jalapeno's. They are just feeking along.. because the lights are in the basement... too cool for peppers, and they are on the mantel and if I think of it, they go into the window, where they have to be only when I'm around, because Liddy likes to snack on them.
20240221_065912.jpg
I've been enjoying this mild weather days, for driving the bus... I don't like messy icy roads, although we have had a few. Nice mornings like this, a few minutes I sit just up from my first stop makes it nice too.
20240321_191504.jpg
Here is a picture on Google earth, kind of blurry.... of an airplane flying over our back field right behind the barn, lol.

Well, have a great Sunday, soon as I get the pen cleaned in the barn, I'm going to remove my EO's from the group, and put with one of the roosters I got last summer, to get some of the inbreeding out of them. I'm not hatching until May... I'm done with trying to keep chicks warm when the weather is like this. The future moms were hatched last Easter... but Easter is way early this year, I think the earliest it can be!

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:38 am

@Bayvistafarm great pictures,
love the lettuce results !
I always feel like I should rush out and do something , anything, after reading your posts. :)

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:46 am

Wow, I feel like a sloth 🦥🦥🦥 now. What a wonderful life.... Minus Gary's back injury... Get better soon!
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 am

@Bayvistafarm awesome!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:20 am

Big earthquake in Taiwan😱😱😱
Railway line at my friend's condo in Taioei<br /><br /><br />Railway line at my friend's condo in Taipei
Railway line at my friend's condo in Taioei

Railway line at my friend's condo in Taipei
My niece's fish tank
My niece's fish tank
Raining and windy here in Caledon! Batten down the hatches!

To everyone who doesn't know... I'm LouLou spelled LoLo that's what my old Markham Slow Pitch League used to call me... hee hee

Note how easy it is to type LoLo on your keyboard. Efficiency is my middle name... Hee hee...

A simple twist of fate. You buy a drone. You can't fly it. 😭😭😭

Stay tuned PTO. Drone photos will be taken once we get clear weather!

The fish and shrimp were shaken so hard they were shaken out of the tank! All my friends and relatives are OK. They said it was a big one!
Last edited by lolotsung on Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:07 am

I’m hoping we get all the nasty weather over with here in Kingston before the BIG day on Monday. So far, the forecast is for clear skies for the Lunar Eclipse! Kingston is one of the best places to see this one as the total eclipse will be longer than most other areas of eastern Ontario. :fingersx:

The city is expecting up to 500,000 people coming to see it here. I live very close to the waterfront near a large park and the Olympic Marina so bracing myself for a large horde of people descending on our cozy little neighbourhood. The bonus though is we don’t have to drive anywhere to see It!

They’ve designated the Grass Creek Park, with a large of leash dog park we go to as the main event area, it’s the home of the Canadian Sheep Dog Trials every August. Hope we can still sneak over there early in the morning to have our main run and play time. :yappydog: (
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:42 am

I bought glasses from Amazon. Not sure what happened to my other glasses. Lost in the move. I'm taking a half day off. Not sure where is the best place to see it though. My daughter picked Oakville...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 pm

My friend flew out of Taiwan 2 days ago to go to the Phillipines for a month diving and touring.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:23 am

I knew I shouldn't have put away the snow shovels yet :(
It does look beautiful, but boy is it ever heavy to move.
When I opened the front door this morning to let Addy out , she took one look at the outside, then at me with that "You got to be kidding" look and went right back in , and frankly who can blame her.

Got a new MacBook Air, the old one self distracted exactly 14 years after purchase, you would think they had it timed?
Bracing myself for migrating info from the old one to the new one, with equal amount of excitement and fear.
Somewhat tempted to start the new one clean , but a bit lazy to input all the info I have collected on the old one. ;)

Return to “Around the Waterer”