Good Morning 2024

General discussion forum.
lolotsung
Free Ranging

Re: Good Morning 2024

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:25 pm

I've hiked 4 hours behind our house...in my younger days... With an infant in a backpack... And a puppy... Poor thing was exhausted... I walked too long for her and me ... Mistakes were made... LOL..
don't know where I went...wandering around...All I know was I found a beech forest and a giant oak tree...don't know who's property I was on either...LOL... I have a horrible reaction to tick bites and there are so many around now... So this has stopped me from walking through the woods... I stick to roads and wide trails now...2 hour walk in the woods means Otis has over 20 ticks on him... He has the tick medicine but I still don't like them crawling all over him so I take them off one by one and it takes about 30 min...
Last edited by lolotsung on Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm

hi folks the forum is slow because of some bots attacking it in a denial of use action. we are working on it.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 pm

Fox pups must be so fun to watch 🤣🙃😜

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:45 pm

@Brebis I sent you a message
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Bobbi
On the Roost

Post by Bobbi » Thu May 02, 2024 1:15 pm

Hey there,

I wanted to stop in and say hi and ask whether anyone has heard anything from the authorities about the bird flu outbreak.

Figured I would stop by here first.

Hope everyone is doing well.

-Bobbi
:broodyhen:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 02, 2024 2:51 pm

Hi there. Not heard anything here. The website on the link will show current outbreaks and further details.
https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-hea ... 8851359195
Mutt chickens for eggs

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 pm

! Message from: ross
lolotsung wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 pm
Yep , Till momma gets in your hen house & drags a hen /rooster home to feed them .
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu May 02, 2024 7:51 pm

ross wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 pm
 ! Message from: ross
lolotsung wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 pm
Yep , Till momma gets in your hen house & drags a hen /rooster home to feed them .
Yup my friend lost 6 hens and her boy in one go this year. SHe found the weak spot.
Mutt chickens for eggs

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Fri May 03, 2024 12:25 am

That's terrible... Losing so many... 😭😭😭

When you don't own chickens... Hawks... Fox.. Coyotes... Etc. Can be enjoyed in their element...
When you own chickens...then it's 😱😱😱 chase that predator away!!!!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri May 03, 2024 4:03 pm

Hi Everyone

looks like the bot attack is over, they couldn't get in or make any issues so off they went. Pretty slow few days though. We're hoping that won't happen again!

H5N1 has jumped from birds to cattle. Interestingly they can detect viral genome in the cow's milk, so i guess we'll see if this can ultimately make it up the food chain and jump to people. I don't think they know yet and i have not heard that FULL infective virus can be detected in the milk/meat....hopefully it won't be. It's been very quiet on the bird flu front during the migration this year! Haven't heard of too many problems at all-which is a good thing!

Been a really crappy last month. Had to put my one cat down - she likely had a couple of strokes and was basically blind and then started falling and stopped eating. Then 1 week later I got a call that my sis was in the hospital with pneumonia. She'd been not doing great for about 4 weeks, and been on lots of antibiotics and then supplemental oxygen. She ended up in severe respiratory distress and over the course of 3 weeks in hospital developed interstitial pneumonitis, liver failure, kidney failure and then the cancer fully colonized her lungs. She passed away on Wednesday this week while I held her hand. I did spend as much time as I could, so no regrets. It just sucks. Yesterday was busy-helping her husband with the obituary and things like that....but today.....i miss her a lot. She hatched out 2/3 of my chickens this year so we picked up the incubator yesterday too. I'm hoping my nieces will want to hatch for me next year....it's okay if not, but it was a bit of a tradition starting. and my youngest niece really enjoyed the chicks.

Got all the beehives split and set for spring. I'm sure we'll need to super soon with the warmer weather. For now, we're finding morels everywhere, and sometime i need to dig up a few wild leeks/ramps to go on top of steak.

True to form, 4 baby ducks. 3 boys and 1 girl. I think this 50/50 split on the sexes is a plain lie. LOL I have 3 more ducks sitting on nests....hopefully more girls in this bunch-not due to hatch for at least 3 weeks yet....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”