Guess what appeared?

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Guess what appeared?

Post by KimChick » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:42 am

This morning, when I went out to feed the birds, there was a guinea that did not make it into the yard last night. It was chirping and pacing back and forth at the fence. Then I saw some movement inside - keets! The hen showed up with 11 keets. And they are more than day-olds. Most of them went through the fence and needed to find their way back out.
Good thing the chickens stayed totally out of the way. I was able to herd the keets out, and also let the other 4 guineas out. They are now a flock, making their way around the property.
This year, unlike last year, it is August and warm. Last year, when this happened, it was October and raining. It's supposed to rain today, but I told DH that I'd rather leave them alone.
In the meantime, I had just tossed out 27 old eggs that were laid together in the fenced in yard that no guinea sat on, and there have been eggs laid (about 16) in the sandbox in the barn that I haven't touched yet.
Maybe the hen was hiding them from the large hawk that was lurking around here yesterday.

Return to “Around the Waterer”