Mealworms and birds

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Mealworms and birds

Post by Happy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:47 pm

So, I've started my own mealworm farm. Can't say I'm loving it just yet but it's not a great deal of work. My inside chicken (Gracie) is addicted and spends a great deal of time trying to break into the mealworm tower. Yes- I have a house chicken again. It started out of necessity and I'm not sure if she will return to the coop eventually or live her life out inside. It's up to her and time will tell. One big difference since having my last house chicken is that she has diapers. She's quite used to them and they work great!
AddText_04-07-05.34.45~2.jpg
Ok back to mealworms. Here is the real reason I needed an endless supply of them.
PXL_20230607_185210285~3.jpg
PXL_20230607_185150478~5.jpg
I never dreamed I'd be an old bird geek but here I am killing it 😜
Attachments
PXL_20230607_190859792~3.jpg

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Re: Mealworms and birds

Post by thegawd » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:35 am

Wow! Those are so beautiful! I don't think I've ever seen a bluebird down here in southern Ontario in my life. So cool!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:41 am

One tip I can give is to roast the oats in the oven to kill off mites that may be inside the bags. I never did that way back when I was a reptile breeder with 100 000 meal worms and never had those mites once. But we encountered that problem last year and it was very tough to overcome. The whole tower was basically just dumped into the run for the chickens. We saved about 100 meal worms to start over and now have 1000's of baby mealworms and not many full grown ones. I won't make that mistake again.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:55 am

thegawd wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:41 am
One tip I can give is to roast the oats in the oven to kill off mites that may be inside the bags. I never did that way back when I was a reptile breeder with 100 000 meal worms and never had those mites once. But we encountered that problem last year and it was very tough to overcome. The whole tower was basically just dumped into the run for the chickens. We saved about 100 meal worms to start over and now have 1000's of baby mealworms and not many full grown ones. I won't make that mistake again.
Yes I have been doing that. I actual purchased wheat bran for their substrate. I had read that it is easier to run through a sieve to change bedding and separate eggs. No idea-i'm winging it lol. I started with 3000 mealworms and 1000 beetles. I've had a lot of beetle die off so not sure what that's about. Been providing potato and carrot on top of their wheat bran. I don't see any baby mealworms just yet but I'm going to assume they are "cooking". Only had the beetles for about 3 weeks.
I've had indigo buntings, Robins and cedar waxwings at the feeder too but these Bluebirds check their mealworms bowl about every 30 minutes lol. I'm hoping I see them bring their babies eventually 🐦💙

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator

Post by thegawd » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:14 am

Oh yeah I did use wheat bran back then thats likely why I never got those damn mites. Well we have celiac ppl in my house, anything gluten doesn't come in the house and so we use oats instead.

The beetles don't live a very long time. I'm not sure how long but they have one mission and its to reproduce. So rest assured they have completed there mission and then died.

Those birds are really cool!
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:26 am

Happy wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:55 am
Yes I have been doing that. I actual purchased wheat bran for their substrate. I had read that it is easier to run through a sieve to change bedding and separate eggs. No idea-i'm winging it lol. I started with 3000 mealworms and 1000 beetles. I've had a lot of beetle die off so not sure what that's about. Been providing potato and carrot on top of their wheat bran. I don't see any baby mealworms just yet but I'm going to assume they are "cooking". Only had the beetles for about 3 weeks.
I've had indigo buntings, Robins and cedar waxwings at the feeder too but these Bluebirds check their mealworms bowl about every 30 minutes lol. I'm hoping I see them bring their babies eventually 🐦💙
@Happy, don't worry too much about die-off with your initial batch - it is pretty common. My theory is that it's a result of the stress of their move to a new environment. You won't typically have much die-off in subsequent generations.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:33 pm

I totally get it, I would be willing to provide gourmet food for Blue birds too ;)

Return to “Around the Waterer”