Answers: 4

Cool Stuff

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:56 pm

SPeculation but an interesting article.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/dinosau ... -1.6799550
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Cool Stuff

Post by WLLady » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:02 pm

So it says that one egg was apparently possibly laid at 29C and the others at about 40C....this to me would actually hint that maybe they weren't warm blooded, and one was laid earlier in the "spring" and the rest after the weather warmed up?? LOL. Just thinking about evolution, if enzymes and other proteins are encoded by DNA (they are) and they can be pretty rapidly denatured at 40C, plus their temp readings can be +/- 4C then i'd say that they're very much like chickens sitting right about 36-37-38C, and that the one egg was from some cold blooded reptile of some type that was highjacking the nesting behaviour to let someone else do the work of incubating. several birds will do that-lay in other birds nests to conserve energy but still achieve offspring by getting someone else to incubate and feed.....?

(Sometimes i wish the scientists in me would take a hike and be quiet....LOL now i want to do a study and see if i'm right HAHAHA)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”