Thanks KB 75 now
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: Good Morning - 2023

Post by TomK » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:36 pm

20230918_101456_HDR.jpg
happy belated @ross ..not sure which day it was but wishing you all the best

on another note..the Noirans have started..also a little early but hey, who complains when the rest of the crew is beginning moult and slowing production down noticeably....attached is a pic of this mornings one nest box take..Noiran, Azure and a GL Wyandotte ...yes, @Killerbunny ..one of the girls you gave me some years back...still doing well...all 3 of them...expected darker shell on the Noiran so let's see what the other 4 do
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:32 am

I just gave away 6 bushels of apples and didn't even make a dent in them on the tree! I'm shocked that my horse hasn't figured out she can reach the tree...um. Okay, she's got TONS of windfalls on the ground, but still! what self-respecting horse wouldn't raid an apple tree within reach!??! We are making pies, crisps, and too bad i don't like cider....sigh. Although i am going to get the dehydrator out and make a load of apple chips when i get the chance. We have northern spy, and a freedom and a liberty tree. The spys are insane this year, like each apple is about 2 pounds! The freedom and liberty each need another week to be perfect eating sweetness. YUM!

My girls are on strike. 4 eggs at the most in a day. I'm getting more eggs from the ducks it seems....(but hey, duck eggs are good too!). Lost of feathers on the ground now....so i'm sure it's just a "getting ready for winter" moult.

Trees starting to change here. Should be a pretty show again this year!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:42 am

WLLady, I'm glad you say that the Liberty needs another week to be purr-fect for eating! Mine is dropping tons, (and I'm making crumbles, and really should hydrate some) but they are still a bit tart and I was wondering if it was me, as the apple orchard has been selling apples for weeks now.......

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:05 am

There was an interview on CBC with an orchard owner East of Ottawa, who had a late frost in the spring and couldn't have the usual "pick your own"
this year, because they don't have enough apples, it isn't more then an hour east of us, I find that incredible how different the situation is there.
I know for a fact that in the 45 years we have been here, I have never seen such a huge crop of apples.

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:44 pm

We had a late frost this spring that killed all of the tender oak leaves. The tree did form new leaves and was only a couple of weeks behind but there is not one acorn on it this fall.

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:34 pm

i have been collecting tree seeds already and finding a very low fertile rate...about 10% and i suspect the late frost plus dry may here.

have to check those apples again....but first we got a call from the rescue that the dumped dog we turned in is available and been turned down already by someone else. we are going to do a meet tomorrow and see how it goes....shocked that they called me!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:28 am

And if they haven't frigged around, and let you have it right away, the dog would have been in way better shape.
Now the poor thing doesn't know whether it's coming or going and it will be way more work for you to get it settled.
I am going to keep the expletive coming to mind to myself ... :sAng_banghead:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:28 pm

WLLady, I hope you get the pup. Too bad that they made you wait two months :(.

Linda

WLLady

Post by WLLady » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:15 am

so this happened yesterday out of the blue. meet for me and dh and he remembered us! they were floored because i guess the first family meet did not go well at all. they invited us to bring sally in next week so i jumped at the chance and we took sally back in the early afternoon to meet. after a discussion of "there will be a waiting period" and figuring maybe next weekend.....so back and the two were playing like theyd known each other for years. sally remembered him too. and...well...a two page very different adoption contract with zero strings attached (shockingly refreshing! the one i was forwarded asked for police checks and home visits etc etc this one didnt!) we were told waiting period waved he could go today or tomorrow. we loaded him in the car and he has joined the family. faith in humane society restored a little-the changes happening there seem to be good ones....and its like he just belongs here! training is already going great. sit. on your bed. no nipping-that happened just once. we are working on keeping 4 on the floor in the house (no rough housing inside) and ducks are okay to look and sniff but dont play with the ducks. he couldnt care less about cats and we will need to watch counter surfing haha. hes super tall-probably 5 inches taller and still growing and a bit underweight still. so a few more groceries and he should fill in nicely. hes already being super. a little ocd and food oriented but even that is getting better! i included one old pic (top one) from when we found him...big difference, same dog. starting to think lab x great dane...hes got the dane nose and eyes.....but definitely some yellow lab in there!
Attachments
received_1454798061963218.jpeg
16961692822096981630121807889568.jpg
20230930_162928.jpg
20230930_172847.jpg

Return to “Around the Waterer”