Good Morning - 2023

General discussion forum.
Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Good Morning - 2023

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:38 pm

Same applies to cats. Had a situation with a friend where the chap who fostered a very nervous "special" cat wanted to adopt because they'd bonded so well and he was denied. They couldn't get an adopter for the cat because of it's shyness. The cat just suffers in that situation. Crazy. Don't know if I said about crazy but when looking for a vet for Allister and Charlie I went to the vet who'd cared for Muppet. Receptionist said no new patients due to pandemic. I said Muppet was a previous patient and I was met with a brusque and upsetting "well you haven't brought him in for his annual check for a couple of years". I told her that was because they'd had to euthanise him for cancer!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:07 am

I actually couldn't get past the clause of "right to enter and inspect at any time"....sorry. there's biosecurity things I need to worry about-especially now that there are chickens being classed as pets and ending up at the society too. They knew he wasn't our dog-K9 rescue was involved, and had also spoken to them, and honestly the people there were super nice and everything, but the rules are just so over-the-top. I tried, i would definitely do it differently if it happens again. I had a vet check up on a pet that they'd sent me a card for a few years earlier when we had him put down for cancer too LOL. Guess it just slipped their record keeping? I understand they are doing what they deem "best" for the animal, and I'm okay with knowing that he didn't die in our bush from starvation but i will not be reaching out next time (hopefully there isn't a next time!).....sigh. Anyways, any new puppy will have to wait until i have some vacation time to spend-and that's not now. Work is insane as always. Oh, the foster person even told me that we have lots of people that foster so it's a seamless adoption for that animal into their home...and then later in the email said fostering does not mean one is guaranteed to get that dog adopted to you....!? hm. So-i could and i can but i can't? ooooookay. sorry. I hope puppy finds a great home from them and does really well. i don't need to break my heart twice on this-the first was when we found him in that condition....and it's bad enough that we won't qualify to foster....which it's the same questionnaire for adopting (without the police and judiciary checks and proof of vehicle and current insurance and current license and vaccines for all animals on the property and and and....) so 100% sure that won't go through either. I've left the paperwork in....we shall see. Oh, and not 20 minutes after I said no to signing the foster contract i got a mass email (great, i'm on their list now) with the heading "urgent, foster homes for large dogs needed immediately! hmmmmmmm

Chicken math also applies to ducks.....From the mom (up in a previous post) I moved 8 ducklings to a new home, and gave mom 4 ducklings from the brooder (that other not-so-good moms were trying to kill) and she has still got 10 ducklings, so she must have hatched 14. But then i counted 15 with her this morning....and there were no other eggs (i cleaned out the two stinkers, that thankfully waited until the compost bin before they blew up). She's all secure in a coop with the ducklings so the other moms don't bug them. I sure have a batch of evil 1 year old moms this year! only 2 of the 7 have been "motherly" at all!

I also have an easter egger that likes to think she's sitting on eggs, and is one horrible veloceraptor descendant...she actually drew blood a few days ago, and broke one of my feed scoops trying to get me! Let the games begin...lol. She has no eggs, and won't be getting any either! We're approaching 2 weeks, so hopefully only 1 more to go and then the insane chicken switch will flip and she'll go back to normal. She's usually a really nice chicken...hormones. gah.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:12 pm

If any of you remember her I had to send SIster home today. 9 years old and vigorous to the end. Last few days had been having trouble eating. SHe had nasty infected canker in her mouth. SHe saved many babies for me and hatched many more. Fly free little one!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:53 am

What a great, long life you gave her ❤️
I always wondered how she got her name.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:24 am

Happy wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:53 am
What a great, long life you gave her ❤️
I always wondered how she got her name.
There were 2 of them and each had a marking on the feathers, one on the right and one on the left so they became Sister right & Sister left. One went to @JimW for his kids (now grown) so the remaining one just became Sister. She was the power in the coop but not nasty. Interestingly Frank hasn't been looking for her today like he did NJ. My little Wellie hen is doing a comfort chicken thing and is sticking with him. He does like her even though sh'e only a youngun!
Mutt chickens for eggs

poultry_admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by poultry_admin » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:21 pm

Hi All.
I have to implement some updates to get our server back in the green. This update will be a larger one. We haven't had one for a few years now. Wish me luck!
If you see it down on the weekend, you know why....
Be brave enough to suck at something new!
Political Grace: The art of disagreeing well.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:01 am

@poultry_admin thanks so much for taking care of us!
Mutt chickens for eggs

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:19 am

Yay we're back!

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:00 pm

hey everyone! Yep, noticed the forum was just gone....like gone gone a couple days ago! Sorry about that. seems our "old" forum needs an update. Hopefully it will go smoothly....(hang on-here goes nothing!! haha!).

Had another duck show up with 19 babies (i think it was 19...maybe 16) a couple of days ago too. Go figure! I definitely have a busy weekend coming up. Had to pawn the feed run off on DH today and i'll start cleaning the barn/coops after work....fun times. Have to check bees too-i think they were just finishing up the rest of my comb honey super!

Wish us luck with the forum update. Hopefully we don't really mess it up! Have a great weekend everyone
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:27 am

mornin folks...geez louise but the month is flying by wouldn't you agree...however, I got some Noirans and Azures from Freya back in late Apr and this morning went out to open the coops and saw this on the floor of the pen they were in...WOW!...talk about jumping the gun...didnt expect this until late Sept but I'll take it.
...and btw, these birds are super tolerant of me and not at all skittish and I am not even handling them very much. The chicks were a premium price and I lost the freebee at about 1 month which was weird but otherwise, I like these birds thus far. Anyone else have any experience with them?
:run:
20230822_102108.jpg
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Return to “Around the Waterer”