General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Good Morning - 2023

Post by Ontario Chick » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:29 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:13 pm
How are your neighbours in the wetland? We're a swamp now so when it thaws for you guys it could be nasty.
I admit I entertain myself by checking just how hight the water is at their place, but it will get here eventually too.
The sump pump sounds like the Niagara Falls in the basement.
Luckily we didn't loose power, there were couple of flickers, but it held, we are on a different look the our neighbors down the road and I heard the generators running there yesterday.

Lots of trees down again, we never really recovered from the storm in May...
Addy having hard time deciding which stick is the best...
Silver maple After the storm.jpg

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:42 pm

ross wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:24 am
Don’t all Super Heroes wear their underwear on the outside KB
Well my DH doesn't. He's a superhero planning the next coop!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:40 pm

Killerbunny wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:42 pm
ross wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:24 am
Don’t all Super Heroes wear their underwear on the outside KB
Well my DH doesn't. He's a superhero planning the next coop!
Lololol ok
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:56 am

thegawd wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:45 pm
Good afternoon everyone! Yall enjoying the rain or what? Kathy I seen you replying on instant weather, I hear ya got some hail. Allen was watching that hook that was headed your way. He's our local weatherman and been watching all the chaotic tornados in the US over the last few days. Absolute devastation down there.
@thegawd Hey! where have you been hanging out?! Good to see you here!
Yeah, that hook on that storm did about 50K damage to a friend of mine's place. Punched holes in the siding, ripped down a couple trees, bent his garage door in and broke all the hinges on the inside, ripped soffit out and shingles off. Likely a good straight wind or microburst....took down hydro poles north of him too-broken off in half! We got enough hail that it turned our grass white again for about 30 minutes before it all melted! The photo I posted to the fb site was taken from my upstairs window of the storm right over my friend's place, and it was that hook....pretty neat to see. The lightning was crazy, hit our neighbourhood cell phone tower 3 times in about 2 minutes (then i decided that downstairs was likely a better place for me!).

I have now got a pile of duck eggs with nice little red blood vessels growing! yay! muscovies, so they're a way off yet, just 7 days right now. The new to me birds have finally figured out that they're allowed outside (especially when the door is open!), and slowly starting to explore. The grass is growing like crazy, so the horse is happy too.

our bees are scaring us....6 hives all made it through winter, and the populations are exploding. I have to get some mite treatment in soon, and get our swarm boxes out!

The little fuzzybutts aren't so little or fuzzy anymore, they've hit the ugly dinosaur age. Thankfully they're moved to the coop and out of the house the little stinkers! also means i have my basement back (it's our shop for right now) so i can get building the bee equipment!

I sure hope everyone out east ontario has power back by now! i've been wondering for some time now why they aren't burying power lines.....i can understand where there's laurentian shield bedrock, but most places have enough dirt to go down and bury....hm. Hope everyone is safe.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:50 am

I sure hope everyone out east ontario has power back by now! i've been wondering for some time now why they aren't burying power lines.....i can understand where there's laurentian shield bedrock, but most places have enough dirt to go down and bury....hm. Hope everyone is safe.
[/quote]

hi Kathy...that wire underground thing has always been a question in my head. Back in '82 I built my firat house and gave Hydro a call to get installing a service arranged. The guy came out and after introductions his firat comment was "you're going underground, right?"...that was 40 years ago and they are still hanging wires on poles...GAH!!!...it makes no sense for a honemeowner to be serviced from the road by overhead...its ugly, its potentially dangerous and most of all it can cone down in a heartbeat, as we have seen time and time again. And why they don't put the distribution wire system buried in the shoulders of the road bed defies logic...it is well constructed, easy to get to, can't come down in a storm and the road bed is already there made up of mostly crushed stone so it should drain well and pose no mechanical issue to the cables....it would solve the issue of bedrock most times...anyway, cheap and fast is their thinking and the guys get triple time working on Sunday call outs...god bless 'em...I just ponder this stuff...it diean't bother me much being off grid...just sayin'..
:run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Post by TomK » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:57 am

on a chicken matter...when i put in my order at the feed mill fir my meat chicks I ordered 5 Azure and 5 Noiran chicks which arrived last Wednesday...cute little fuzz butts...looking forward to how they turn out and how they lay...can only get pullets from Freys for these guys so I am totally curious as to their actual breeding to get what they are. And I have a couple of dozen Welsummer eggs in the incubator so fingers crossed on that. They are my hens under a 2 yr old rooster from Robert Lynch if anyone knows that name. He is in a long term care home now and his inheritors sold off ALL his stock before anyone knew about his condition so yhere goes any hope for more of his breeding. Here's hoping this guy has what it takes.
:run:
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:05 pm

Oh my sorry to hear about Bob Lynch. Check out the Lynch Lineback Cattle http://www.wcgalp.org/system/files/proc ... neback.pdf. If the boy is from him it should be decent. Had Ridley Bronze Turkeys too.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

ross
Teenaged Cockerel

Post by ross » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:37 pm

Hens in St.Thomas ?
Attachments
8E8E2042-C7BA-4DDE-8D93-4772C588BC78.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:23 pm

Good morning all.
I've been missing from here for awhile, and I owe my friends an explanation.

Long story short, I took on too much and burned out hard, and also was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition that I'm not sure I agree with.

Either way, my physical and mental load forced me to keep scaling back until I could at least function.

I was in imminent kidney failure at one point, but was too mentally muddled to tell anyone.
That was probably the worst of it--that I couldn't organize my thoughts well enough to let the people who care about me know what was happening.

It started before Covid, but the pandemic intensified my problem because suddenly accessing doctors changed, and everything already was taking more energy than I had.
And then I was told I likely have Lupus.

So, it's been a lot.

But, the worst has been the burnout. It sounds so innocuous, so easily overcome with rest.
But.
I've lost the ability to read more than a sentence or two at a time. That started 2017 or so.
Reading books has always been a great love, escape, medium for growth, and solace. I am deeply mourning my inability to devour a 1000 page book.
From what I've learned of burnout, I may be able to get my ability back, or it may be gone forever.

I do know that I'm doing my best to get myself back.

Farrier
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farrier » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:38 am

Good morning oh wimpy winner wolf. I liked your post, not because I like stuff you are going through, but that you chose to tell us. Take care as best you can. Lots of other sappy stuff.

Return to “Around the Waterer”