TomK
Stringy Old Chicken

Re: About those groceries ...warning

Post by TomK » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:34 am

Farrier wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:29 pm
Ontario Chick wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:26 am
That is now several years ago, oddly enough at that time the third ingredient after water and sugar was grape juice. :(
Apparently ANY fruit will do , and you can still call it Cranberry
hi folks..been MIA for a little while but TA DAH!...I be here yet again

This food thing is a topic very dear to me. Labelling laws in Canada are a joke. The loop holes are endless. As a result MJ and I buy very little in the way of processed ANYTHING at the grocer. It all a shell game and the 'food' is made with only maximizing profits in mind. My oldest daughter kept pushingvme to try FB so I finally went a couple of weeks ago...not impressed..not even a little bit...about the only section worth checking out was the fresh produce.
Label checking these days is mandatory and makes the shopping trip a serious PITA....MJ and I just went for some milk and cheese 2 days ago and as we walked the mile and a half to the back of the store MJ remarked at all the aisles of 'food' that we never go down..80% of totally unnecessary items in anyone's life. But I can't say that out loud (maybe I just did, haha) because those are the items that fill most peoples shopping carts and raise the cacophony of complaints about increasing food costs. Call me a cynic but I am not buying it.
On the juice issue, as @Farrier mentioned, "cocktail" means coloured and flavoured sugar water, nothing more.
MJ buys organic cranberry juice...water and cranberry juice from concentrate..that's it that's all...in glass and usually (2) 1 litre bottles for 16$...if you buy 1 it costs 9.99...pricey but at least it is whatvit says it is. She mixes it with fizzy water frim our soda stream. Quite refreshing.

Anyway, nice to see you folks after a brief absence. :run:

When you see grape juice, think fructose. They can call it grape juice, but it has been fractioned so it is almost all fructose.
And look for the labe juice. Coctail means it can be just about anything that pours.
If you don't plant the tree, you will never have the fruit...

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:35 pm

Yup, went back to pure cranberry juice, another one of those You get what you pay for :)

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:14 pm

They hire Chemical Engineers to play with the sugar, salt, and fat content. Best thing to do is Granmama cooking. Closer you are to what she cooked. The healthier the food is.
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:51 am

lolotsung wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:14 pm
They hire Chemical Engineers to play with the sugar, salt, and fat content. Best thing to do is Granmama cooking. Closer you are to what she cooked. The healthier the food is.
That would unfortunately require access to the quality of food my grandma had available to her, grown in pre-war soil.
We are indeed a chemical nation.
Must stop, it would turn in to a rant ;)

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:56 am

You wouldn't want my Grandma's cooking! Neaps and tatties or tatties and neaps. Very little food availablity around Glasgow tenements.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Farrier
Newly Hatched Chick

Post by Farrier » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:16 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:56 am
You wouldn't want my Grandma's cooking! Neaps and tatties or tatties and neaps. Very little food availablity around Glasgow tenements.
I like tatties and neaps. Maybe not every day, but one out of three I could take.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:24 pm

I like them too but little else available, no salad etc. Usually served with grey minced "beef".
Mutt chickens for eggs

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:58 am

Killerbunny wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:35 am
OK so DH went into our local "Superstore" which ain't so super here. Picked up a pack of toilet rolls which were on sale. Got to checkout and the cashier said that since he didn't have an "Optimum" card he must pay full price. He was told to get one but he refused because you have to give too much info and get flooded with spam. Went to leave it there and she then put it through at sale price. I mean WTF! Good job we don't use the store too often.
I know you grow lots of your own food, but I must say the "Optimum" card has been a real help with the grocery bill here.

I have been shopping online for 3 years now for the dry goods, for the elderly folks like us a real help, I spend 2 days getting my list together, being able to compare price per unit on my screen, rather then sitting on the floor in my local IGA with a magnifying glass, a great bonus.
The fact that I can send DH and they load it in to the trunk for him and I don't get any mystery foods by sending DH to do the shopping a real bonus ;)

Since I was registering on line anyway to do the ordering I applied for the Optimum card too.
That has produced surprisingly large savings, and it's only a small card attached to my car key, which I can live with when I do in person shopping .
To date it hasn't produced any unwanted side effects, only a reduced food bill, which at this point I would sign my soul to the :twisted:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:06 am

Got rid of ours after being spammed, hacked etc. Our store is very poor anyway and we use Food Basics which is very good. Our problem also was our different names (in this day and age) and they wouldn't/couldn't link the accounts. I think that may have changed now. Does your SS keep changing the layout too? ours does on a regular basis. Oh and I send DH shopping too, with a list. But the thing on the list was on sale so we now have LOTS of cans of chipotle peppers!
Mutt chickens for eggs

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:18 am

My hubby is pretty good at food shopping. He tends to go overboard buying HUGE packets of mushrooms and too many jars of marmalade, but I make an effort to use them up and not toss any. I do have to cut the picture out of the flyer sometimes for odd things though which makes it easier all around....

I was annoyed the other day. Metro recently had packets of muffin mix 2 for $10 "on sale", so I bought two. I was on the baking aisles in No Frills, and there they were for $3 something a packet, not even on sale. Grrrrrr to Metro!

Linda

Return to “Around the Waterer”