Chicks without mom…

General discussion forum.
Blizblaz
On the Roost

Chicks without mom…

Post by Blizblaz » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:33 pm

So I gave a broody hen some chicks in June, and I sectioned them off in a shelf in my coop. She was very good to them, and I decided to open the divider after a month or so to try to get everyone moving around and acclimated and all that. But she ended up disappearing from their lives-I don’t even know which hen she was (as I have a bunch that look alike). I have been giving them water in their shelf and I try to give them food, but hens are jerks, and they just end up eating and drinking from the baby’s even though they have their own…I don’t normally keep water until the coop - I put it in the run - and especially when winter comes, I don’t need the extra moisture, but these chicks are scared and refuse to go out into the run on their own! I’ve been trying to put them out, but they just hide and run back in, maybe getting a bit of a drink in the process, but not enough! I’ve been keeping t all the chickens in the run/coop because of my recent fox troubles (the first one was disposed of, but there is another to take it’s place) so it’s hard for the chicks to get out without a bunch of hens trying to do their thing.
Sorry for the rambling, but, any suggestions?

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Re: Chicks without mom…

Post by Farrier1987 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Make sure they have food and water, they will be fine and integrate as they grow up.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Return to “Around the Waterer”