RIP Penelope

General discussion forum.
Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

RIP Penelope

Post by Jaye » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 am

We had to say goodbye to our chicken Penelope last night. DH went down at around 7 pm with some garden treats to check on everyone. She was okay at the time. She must have passed shortly after that because she was still out in the run when he went down to close all the pop doors at about 9. She was the last of our original flock. She was a friendly, chatty bird (Euskal Oiloa/Basque is a great breed). She was about 9 1/2 years old. This year she was showing her age and we really didn't expect her to last the year, but still. We will both really miss her. RIP Penelope.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: RIP Penelope

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:06 am

@Jaye so sorry to hear of this. We worry in this heat because we realised that most of our chickens are well over 5 years. One of our turkey matriarchs is 9 now. She had a great life with you though and was thoroughly spoiled.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:13 am

Sorry for your loss @Jaye Penelope lived a happy and long life with her human friends :hug:
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:49 am

@Jaye that's sad. I'm positive you gave her a great life and I'm glad that it sure sounds like she didn't suffer and left quickly. I lost my last original girl last summer and I know it's a different kind of hurt. 😔

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:54 am

What a great age and what a great way to go, in the garden on a summer evening.

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:01 am

Thanks so much for all your kind words.
@Happy , you're right, it is a different kind of sadness losing the last original. I'm sorry that you lost your last original girl too. I am sure that she had a great life with you. I hope she went peacefully as well.
@Killerbunny , I know what you mean about worrying about the older girls in this latest round of heat. At least our chicken run is located under trees and has a good flow through of air when there is a breeze. Same for the quail. The coop itself got pretty stifling by last night though, even with open windows and fan.
@lolotsung , yes, she did have it pretty good here, but I still second guess myself on what I could have or should have done better every time we lose one.
@Ontario Chick , you're right, of course - it really was a great way to go. I hadn't thought of it that way. I just wish she could have been around long enough to enjoy the watermelon I had bought that afternoon for the next day when it was really hot.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Kbr42
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Kbr42 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:47 am

Awww, very sorry about your loss. She had an awesome life with you and enjoyed every minute of it!

Return to “Around the Waterer”