Time to Grab the Camera

General discussion forum.
KimChick
Head Chicken

Time to Grab the Camera

Post by KimChick » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:18 pm

Today, DH found a surprise in the grass.... because he nearly stepped on it as he was headed to the vehicle he needed to use.
Attachments
The only thing that moved were its eyelids.
The only thing that moved were its eyelids.
Notice the wheel of the vehicle on the right.
Notice the wheel of the vehicle on the right.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Time to Grab the Camera

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:30 pm

OK so I'm putting this in the Photo COmpetition.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

labradors
Head Chicken

Post by labradors » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:44 am

What a sweetie :).

We learned, last year, that the mothers leave the fawns in a safe spot for a day, and come back later to get them. A neighbour called us because she found one in a little flower bed, and was worried about it, but had to go to work. It was the perfect spot, mostly hidden from view. The neighbour had left a bowl of water and another bowl of fruit out, and we kept an eye on it, but the little guy didn't really move all day and was gone by the evening.

Linda

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:16 am

I think I will have a fawn here soon. There has been a pregnant doe eating in the yard on a regular basis. My yard and pasture is full of long hay grass and alfalfa. I may not see a fawn until it is bigger. There are baby robins out, baby jack rabbits, and one hatch of ducklings so far. I only have pictures of the young jack rabbits. I saw my first Monarch butterfly yesterday, but I didn't have my camera.
IMG_4547.JPG
This pheasant is something new in the area. A wildlife group released several pheasants near Weyburn each year for the last 2 or 3 years. I live about an hour from Weyburn and didn't expect to see them here. I saw a female last fall in the field next to my property. It would be cool if they raised some chicks.
IMG_4649.JPG

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:00 pm

The fawn looks so small and helpless. I would look out my mom's window at the Montreal General Hospital at the ring necked pheasants... I was waiting for her to finish work... One of the most beautiful birds in the forest...sometimes they had babies :-)
I saw a baby rabbit on my way home
IMG-20220613-WA0000.jpg
my nephew's garden at my older brothers house
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Post by Farrier1987 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:43 am

The mother has to feed to be able to make milk and wants the baby safe. She "parks" them in a safe spot and goes to feed, then comes back for them. My goats do this with young ones, probably up to two weeks old. They park them after the baby has had a good feed of milk, so they mostly sleep but tend not to move til mom comes back and tells them they can.

This is why someone not knowing better will think the baby is abandoned and take it home and then it really does become an orphan. Don't touch the baby. And if you do, or a kid did, put it back where you found it. That nonsense that the mother will not take it back if touched by humans is just that, nonsense.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:44 pm

Our cows would do that for the first day or so when they calved in the field. They were so well hidden that it would take us ages to find them so we could check and tag them. The cows were often far away watching us but never gave the spot away, but would hustle over if we found them!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Return to “Around the Waterer”