Question Newbie question: is there a most sustainable breed?

General discussion forum.
TyroneOfSix
Newly Hatched Chick

Newbie question: is there a most sustainable breed?

Post by TyroneOfSix » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:10 pm

Forgive me if I am adding this question to the wrong topic thread. I have been reading and researching a few months. I see the many reasons why breeds are used and bred. But what are say the top 5 most sustainable breeds for Ontario winters etc to keep that will generally reproduce (brood) and be like a reliable self sustaining chicken? Not necessarily for profit just as a good breed to keep around, I guess dual purpose is the term that comes to mind. I’m sure the question has been asked but I didn’t find the thread and I’m still learning to use the website

Thank you

Ty

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Re: Newbie question: is there a most sustainable breed?

Post by Ontario Chick » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 am

I guess number one in my mind would be the Chanteclec
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantecler_chicken

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:33 am

@lolotsung just got some of these.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:06 am

This is my limited experience so far:

I looked for chanteclers last year and emailed http://dandhnewman.ca/chantecler-chickens/ and Greg Oakes (famous breeder near Guelph) is on this breeder's list https://chantecler.club/?attachment_id=577 but no reply. I also tried finding Galep ([url]https://coop-la-basse-cour.forumactif.c ... basse-cour[/url] in Quebec (famous breeder) but no luck there. I found http://www.foxfirefarm.ca/chickens.html but they are quite far away from me.

@shaded breeds chanteclers so she would know WAY more than I do. She mentioned getting chanteclers from Quebec which I still might do but buying locally may be a better option (the chickens don't have to travel so far). Considering the temperatures in Caledon right now, the chanteclers do not seem to get cold, :lol: so they are able to withstand the cold Canadian winters. Not so sure how they will tolerate the heat because I have heard that they are not heat tolerant and also that they are heat tolerant.

I tried again this Fall and Greg Oakes (famous breeder) replied by email. He said he will have more this Fall and he does not sell eggs or chicks. I picked up 1 cockerel and 3 pullets when it was in the minus 20s from Greg Oakes last Saturday. The cockerel was congested and tired looking when I took him out of the box. The pullets were fine and started pecking and scratching around right away. I'm guessing the stress of being in a box in the cold weather brought out an underlying issue. Day 2 the rooster was less congested walking around and by day 3 an occasional congested sound but acting like a good rooster. He actively looks for food all day and is always alert, looking for predators. First night he slept under the pullets (getting pooped on) so I put him on the roost and he jumped off. Second night I put him on the roost and he jumped off and slept under the pullets and was pooped on. Third night I put him on the roost and he jumped off then I tried again and he stood on the roost pecked me twice (not viciously). I think he was telling me to leave him alone then he jumped off. I thought I should let him do what he wants. What do I know? Fourth night and onwards he was on the roost the farthest to the left. :rooster-171:

Temperament
I have read that chanteclers are flightly, bullies, and do not like confinement and I have read the complete opposite. Friendly, curious, and cautious (this will be good for free ranging chickens). I am able to walk right up to any of them and pick them up. Since I free range, I do not worry about confinement because they can wander anywhere they want all day long. The rooster has crowed twice in one week. I don't know if this is normal.

Egg Laying
First day 1 egg laid from the roost, second day one egg with no shell laid from the roost, third day 1 egg with no shell laid from the roost, fourth day 1 egg with no shell laid from the roost and 1 shelled egg laid in the shavings bag, 5th day no eggs, 6th day 1 egg in the shavings bag, two in one nest box and 1 in the other nest box. They will be good layers. I have read that they are broody so you may need to break the broody hens (this can be annoying if you don't want a broody hen). This is great if you want a broody hen to hatch eggs. :broodyhen:

Conclusion
Canadian, dual purpose, cold hardy, docile, good layers, good free rangers. What's not to love?!
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:57 am

update on eggs 4 yesterday and 3 today :yippiechickie:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:09 pm

I had some partridge Chantecler’s I got from Performance Poultry, the hens were very nice and productive but the rooster was very nasty and ended up in the pot! So, it’s not a great number to go on, but the hens were very nice and seemed to take the cold in stride. Sadly, they met their end in my first weasel attack experience.

I know the partridge Chanteclers are actually a breed with similar origins but developed in Alberta but were grouped with the white Quebec ones long ago but I think win on their good looks, lol!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:31 am

White birds are known to produce particularly clean carcasses.

White is the perfect camo colour while there is snow on the ground. They have been walking around the property but I almost never see them! My son said we should have a Slow Down Watch for Chickens Sign :lol: 3 more eggs today! :banana:

White
• Dark Cornishes
• White Leghorns
• White Plymouth Rocks
• Rhode Island Reds
• White Wyandottes

Partridge
• Brown Leghorns
• Dark Cornishes
• Partridge Cochins
• Partridge Wyandottes

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:21 am

SOmebody around here has a "Caution - Chickens at Play" sign!
Mutt chickens for eggs

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:52 am

@TyroneOfSix you might want to consider buckeyes. Useful info in the Buckeyes section of the pto.ca forum.

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:36 am

@Ontario Chick can tell you about wyandottes, I believe the whites were not a hit?
Mutt chickens for eggs

Return to “Around the Waterer”