Alternative Bedding Materials for Poultry: Availability, Efficacy, and Major Constraints, Article of the day

General discussion forum.
lolotsung
Free Ranging

Alternative Bedding Materials for Poultry: Availability, Efficacy, and Major Constraints, Article of the day

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 pm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8416037/ If you are busy, go straight to the table to get highlights
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Alternative Bedding Materials for Poultry: Availability, Efficacy, and Major Constraints, Article of the day

Post by Brebis » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:46 am

Interesting, thanks for posting @lolotsung.I wonder if mixtures of locally produced bedding material might be a good option. I’ve used mainly wood shavings and sometimes straw, though it wasn’t chopped, but the combination might be better, if the straw is chopped. I like using dried grass clippings from the lawn, raked up and bagged, over the winter in the nest boxes, nice and soft and the hens love to nibble it and get extra greens.

Of course, free range is the chickens preference, being able to go where they want!

Seems to me some on the PTO forum have used chopped flax with good results, but it’s not mentioned.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Alternative Bedding Materials for Poultry: Availability, Efficacy, and Major Constraints, Article of the day

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:49 am

I think @Jaye used it but it became difficult to source.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:39 am

@Brebis do you put the clippings in plastic bags and seal them? I'm seeing myself thinking I did a great job of drying the grass and opening up a bag of mouldy grass in the winter :( That's an excellent idea! :-)
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:09 am

I make sure it’s really dry and put it loosely in feed bags and fold over the tops but don’t tie them so they get lots of air so they don’t go mouldy. The last few places I had them I had a large yard that was cut, not so often so that there was lots to dry and collect! A lot like making hay, lots of sun and hope the rain holds off and make sure it’s really dry, if it’s even a little damp it will go mouldy, especially sealed in plastic.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:41 am

And I found I had to be sure it didn't catch fire when drying by raking it over often. Had scary moment!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”