General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: Selling eggs

Post by ross » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:42 pm

TomK wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:11 am
this is one of those things that sets in my craw, because it so obviously is in place to protect the interests of the big egg producers...only being able to sell at farm gate...like really, what difference is it to anyone if you sell a dozen eggs to someone who comes to your home or if you take a dozen eggs to someone in the local town once a week?...or at a market on Saturday morning?.. I mean if its a food safety thing surely the person who got bad eggs from you would be able to tell officialdom where they got the bad eggs...you dont need a computerized all encompassing tracking system to do that. I have several customers who don't drive anymore and if there is a need for eggs I will oblige if i can. Maybe I am going to jail now. Taxes and big corps...that is who is important i guess. Hrrrrmmpfff!. Goanywhere in this country and look at small business owners, to stay in business they truly have to satisfy their customer base. If they screw up, they wont be in business very long. That goes for widgets, meat and eggs and everything. Gov't won' t be there to bail them out like they do the big guys. So where is the danger that we are supposedly being protected from with all these rules?..:run:
When they come to your farm they can if you let see how your chickens are raised cleanliness etc . If bought off farm they can’t like the egg board has strict rules & all eggs are inspected & the facilities . That’s why TomK
Saving the consumer from dirty egg mills & decease
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Shnookie wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:16 pm
When I had extra eggs I was able to donate them to a shelter in Regina. I was actually surprised that they would take them. I called them first. They also accept home grown vegetables for their kitchen. The skating rink in the next town from me has a kitchen and for a while they were using eggs supplied by a local farmer. I don't know what happened but they had to stop using local eggs and start using store-bought eggs.
We have been able to donate a lot of fresh veggies this year and they were very happy.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:58 am

We had a big push for local veggies my way, and when i had extra in the garden they didn't want them. go figure. something about not being part of a grocery chain. i couldn't believe it. oh well. i gave some to people i knew and put the extras in the freezer, and we'll either eat them, or they'll end up as compost when i clean out the freezers next fall again. we cannot donate eggs to anywhere here....unless we go through grading and then only if brown or white. and they prefer white because they're easier to candle. If they're green or blue forget it, they won't be accepted. And I would have to pay the grading costs in order to donate the eggs. well, i'd rather at that point give them the cash to get what they need, and boil the eggs and feed them back to my girls and save on the feed costs. it's all just a bit ridiculous actually. And now i see there's a big push on for urban farming LOL. There are people like me that can't get rid of extras, and now they are supporting making extras all over the place, so there's something very broken in the supply chain! I'm always one for people being self sufficient and knowing how to grow stuff etc, but if we have it, and can't get it to people that need it, that's a delivery issue....Thankfully i know a couple of families that are not as well off that can take a lot of my extras.....so i don't have much issue, but there has to be a better way-my area is particularly abysmal for making it difficult. And honestly, i've tried enough that i'm out of energy to try to change the system, which also doesn't help
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Shnookie
Free Ranging

Post by Shnookie » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:38 pm

There's a couple near here that grow a large garden on their acreage every year and donate any fruit or vegetables that they don't need to the Regina Food Bank.

KimChick
Head Chicken

Post by KimChick » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:37 pm

A few times we donated fresh vegetables to our local food bank. A couple of times I went with vegetables and they were closed; then I found out that it was because it was a holiday weekend and the food bank day was changed. Then I found out that the clients didn't take much of anyone's donated fresh vegetables. It was mainly those working there that had to take them at the end of the day.
When we have extra eggs available beyond what our regulars purchase, our farm gate is either a table by the driveway or the front deck.

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:12 am

@WLLady What is wrong with green and blue eggs, they can be candled and graded, right? Sounds difficult to give away food. Meanwhile I'm sure there are many kids hungry, in Canada, right now, that would love to eat free extra food from local farmers...
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:15 am

When you see the line and for grading etc. it moves very fast and the green & blue eggs are too difficult. It costs you to have them graded also. The big producers would rather "donate" or sel at a discount their eggs.
Mutt chickens for eggs

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:59 pm

@suekeetch this article is about meat but it gives you an idea of the system that is setup...https://www.inthehills.ca/2013/05/wheres-the-chicken/

Killerbunny

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:08 pm

Nice article! Update on quotas is that there has been some advances to allow Artisanal CHickens and specialty breeds.
https://www.ontariochicken.ca/Programs/ ... en-Program
https://www.specialtybreeds.ca/Home.aspx
The Turkey Farmers only allow 50 birds per small grower.
Mutt chickens for eggs

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:34 pm

Chinese think silkies are more nutritious. My mom's friend told her to drink silkie soup with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_bo_leung to reduce the chemotherapy side effects. It worked for her. No side effects. My mom said she drank the soup because it tastes good but if it helped at all well that's uncertain. Maybe we need a scientist to study this. I could not find anything on Google...

Return to “Around the Waterer”