Back sort of

General discussion forum.
Farrier1987
Stringy Old Chicken
Answers: 1

Back sort of

Post by Farrier1987 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:51 am

I have been negligent and not here for most of the summer and fall, but I am willing myself to get back to some things I enjoy.

No real excuse, no great depression or anything, just out of sorts with the world in general and staying home playing with goats and chickens and pretending the rest of the world doesnt exist.

Was an OK summer. Getting too old to go down the cliff to the lake, so did very little swimming. Broody hens didnt start til about July, but in the end we had about 5 hatches. Two of them with just one chick, I think Grouch may be shooting blanks, and he was the only rooster after the fox got two. Three others with about six chicks each. Pullets just starting to lay right now. Maybe keep going through the winter?

Garden was ok, but neglected more than it should have been. Got one more raised bed built and another one half built. Have cut the garden about in half for less work. seeded this fall to pasture grasses and winter wheat for a cover crop. Still in the garden fence, wont let the animals to it till its well established. Damn chickens kept digging in it after I seeded, will see what there is for bare spots.

Sold my 2009 Ford Ranger 4x4 xcab with 155000 km. Got $6500 for it. Sold the Toyota Corola 2007 w 270000 on it for $3100. Took over the lease on a 2019 Nissan Qashqai, seems to be a good vehicle. Down to ont vehicle now, cheaper on insurance and upkeep etc.

Goats have come and gone, still have three does are or will be bred for the spring. Just drying up the last one. Made a lot of cheese this past summer.

I think part of this hiatus has been having to put down a cat and a goat and some older chickens. Done right and for good reason and all, but not good feelings. Got a new cat, seems to be working out ok. Marshal.

Other stuff. Hope all here are well, and I will start reading the last six months posts.
Farrier1987. South of Chatham on Lake Erie. Chickens, goats, horse, garden, dog, cat. Worked all over the world. Know a little bit about a lot of things. No incubator, broody hens.

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Back sort of

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 am

Good to have you back@Farrier1987. Yeah it's weird and we have ghosted several friends who got strange over the COVID thing. Their choice but ours too. Life goes on!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Post by Happy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Happy to see you back here ya old goat. Didn't want to keep bugging you. I understand that feeling you're describing. I have lost a lot of what I consider special this past year. Life goes on but it's not the same.
Stick around and cause some trouble please.

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi @Farrier1987 !! nice to see you back here! although i've been MIA for a while too.....bah. yep, not feeling myself yet. Too many changes and at the same time not enough changes. At least nothing really changing BETTER yet....hm.
I think i might finally have managed to corral the wayward 5 chickens that have been contributing to the mess in the barn. Down to i think 25 or so now hens, and 2 roosters. Have seen too much sick/dying/death this year for my liking. Just puts a downer on a lot, a LOT of things. but hey, the sun was shining today, and tomorrow should be decent too! hopefully not too much snow in the forecast....and spring will bring more eggs and babies again. :-)
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”