Beef cattle

General discussion forum.
kenya
Henny Penny
Answers: 1

Beef cattle

Post by kenya » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Wondering if anyone can tell me the answer to my problem. This year the hay I got isn't the best and the horses are wasting so much. I wondered if I got a beef calf, weaned of course, if it would eat up the coarser bits of hay the horses don't like. Come next year I could sell the calf. Would this make any sense?

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Re: Beef cattle

Post by Brebis » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Though it might solve some of the waste hay problem, a calf of that age would also need some grain during the winter as well as since it’s growing and needs extra nutrition…
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 pm

Would it be better to buy an older calf

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:25 pm

Yeah older or buy one to finish for the freezer for yourself but also be aware of tagging and registration requirements for tracking of beef cattle. You may be better off just composting the hay your horse wont eat or throwing it in with your chickens for warmth in the winter if you do not want to bother with all the registration/tagging etc.
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:53 am

Several people I know rond here that raise beef cattle raise a Jersey bull calf for themselves because the flavour is better. I think @windwalkingwolf did that.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Post by Brebis » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:04 am

Poor waste hay especially if it’s trampled, won’t be enough for any young beef animal if you need it to grow and finish out in a reasonable time, even a Jersey steer. In the winter there is no good pasture to supplement the bad hay so they won’t have sufficient nutrition unless you supplement it.
So, I agree with others that composting the waste hay would be a the best option. And it’s no fun chasing a steer around when you want to catch it lol!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:09 pm

Grass fed beef . Hmmm I sure one of the fast food places would pay you top dollar for the carcass , he said tongue in cheek. Lol
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

windwalkingwolf
Poultry Guru - pullet level
Answers: 3

Post by windwalkingwolf » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:51 am

Jerseys and Highlands can live ok off of crap hay. If it's really old or weathered, a vitamin premix to sprinkle on their feed would be good. However, it's unlikely you would be able to sell the steer on the hoof for anything more than peanuts, and would be better off to send to the abattoir and put it in your own freezer. You could sell the meat off farm, but if you eat beef like we do, one little rawboned steer won't last as long as you'd think 😂
Jerseys take about 2 years to hit full size, which is a lot of hay, water, and poop. The crappier the hay, the more they have to eat to meet their needs, and the more poop there is. You can't fork up cow dookie like horse dookie: It's much messier and needs to be shoveled or scraped out. Don't feed them indoors...poop piles up fast.
The upside (besides not wasting hay) is that there's a depth to the flavour of the meat that is difficult to describe, except for YUM lol. I am hooked.
If you decide to go this route, The best thing to do is get them young and tame them down. The more you can handle them, the easier it will be.

kenya
Henny Penny

Post by kenya » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:04 pm

Well I thank everyone for their insight. I think I will do without a beef calf. Rules and regulations, No thanks. Chasing a loose cow again No thanks!!!

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:24 pm

Smart girl , Gayle 🐂
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

Return to “Around the Waterer”