Wild Turkey hen hanging around

General discussion forum.
Happy
Poultry Guru - pullet level

Wild Turkey hen hanging around

Post by Happy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:28 pm

Why would a single hen be hanging around in our yard? She first showed up a few evenings ago and stood in the middle of the yard at dusk just picking at the lawn and preening. The chickens were in their pen and didn't seem to interest her. She headed back into a treed area at the back corner of the yard and we figured she roosted for the night. Hubby saw her a couple mornings later just cruising the yard for food. We didn't really think she was still around but the dogs have been barking at something in that same corner or in the field on and off and my lab just chased her out of there. She flew out to the ravine beside us. I believe it's too late for a nest so it's odd to me that she's on her own but I'm no expert. Any ideas?

labradors
Head Chicken

Re: Wild Turkey hen hanging around

Post by labradors » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:16 pm

Interesting! I have no clue, but my neighbour down the road has one who visits her place a lot. She enjoys having her around and feeds her sunflower seeds.....

Linda

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: Wild Turkey hen hanging around

Post by Killerbunny » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:38 pm

We sometimes have a few "bachelor hens" turn up. To me they look like younger first year girls who didn't manage a good nest this year. I find that even with my BSWs the first years may try and then quit part way. Often those then do well the second year.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”