Question What to do if a raccoon tries to eat your chicken in the daytime?

General discussion forum.
ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Re: What to do if a raccoon tries to eat your chicken in the daytime?

Post by ross » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:35 pm

Xbows work too . The silent exterminator. Just remember your birds are counting on you to keep them safe not the predators.
Not sure how my field map got in there .
Attachments
2FA24E58-69D6-477B-8EC0-B3FA967259F9.jpeg
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:49 pm

Thanks for the the SSS explanation @Killerbunny

Thanks for the tips @WLLady I was reading about raccoons today and one site said to play ROCK music on a radio. What type of music were you playing? :lol:

Nice map @ross :lol:

My son said that he will wait outside for the raccoon and if it shows up he's shooting it. He's really angry because we forgot to close the coop (I thought he closed it and he thought I closed it) last weekend. We were both really tired because we decided to pour a concrete floor in the coop (it was HOT) just in case a predator decided to chew through the plywood. I'm guessing our neighbourhood raccoon (big one that we have seen sometimes at night) killed his favourite lavender orpington. We noticed a feeder was dragged outside the coop and emptied and Otis and I found the dead orpington about 50 m away. Seemed like nothing much was eaten, some skin and feathers missing from the body. I didn't look really closely because my in-laws were on their way over for a BBQ but now that I think of it I don't remember seeing her liver. Does this sound like something a raccoon would do? I have them in our coop which is quite roomy whenever we are not out supervising.

Is it possible for a raccoon to open this door handle if it is unlocked? We lost the key.
20210615_160405.jpg
Also we found this hole (my hand is 7" and that is a Speckled Sussex egg) behind our coop I looked inside yesterday and couldn't see an animal inside but it's hard to see the whole area. It could have dug down.
hole.jpeg
I am allergic to something! See my arm! Gypsy Moths?

Thanks for the help!
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:58 pm

re: that hole, my guess is a rat (or rats), or maybe a weasel. try putting one of these https://www.peaveymart.com/animal-equin ... egoryCode=
at the entrance and see what happens.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Get a bag of spray lime (white) from your feed mill . Spread around outside of coop
& in hole burns there feet stuffs there nose . Doesn’t bother poultry I use for pen disinfectant. Luck
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm

I snipped the map Ross.

I dont like raccoons or weasels.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:55 am

yeah that looks like a rat tunnel. you can tray a rat snap trap right in the tunnel just outside the wall, sometimes they run through fast and don't stop. LOL. hot chili pepper on the ground in the tunnel will slow them down for a couple minutes, but they'll just dig another tunnel. The best rat poison i found is a gel pack....made by first strike. it's pricey, and MUST keep away from cats and dogs and birds and everything else. We took 50 rats out of our barn in 48 hours with it. horrible creatures, they'll chew through EVERYTHING. we had chats chew through our feed bins! It does sound like a coon with the dragging the feeder out and pieces of our bird missing. i had a coon literally drag a rooster under a wall (but he wouldn't fit) so it just ate the part it dragged under the wall and left the rest, even though there was a completely open door 2 feet away. the lime is a good idea - just wear gloves putting it down and make sure your cats and dogs don't walk through it.

it was CBC. talk radio (to sound like humans). LOL
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

Return to “Around the Waterer”