Question What to do if a raccoon tries to eat your chicken in the daytime?

General discussion forum.
lolotsung
Free Ranging

What to do if a raccoon tries to eat your chicken in the daytime?

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:56 pm

So about 4 hours ago our dog barked and I saw a speckled sussex running by the back sliding door and a raccoon chasing just 3 feet behind her :-o
I opened the door and Otis chased it away. I have never seen a predator in the daytime. I put all the chickens in the coop and I'm wondering what I should do now? Is it safe to let them free range? Should I trapped the raccoon and relocate it? Will another raccoon replace it if it does get relocated? Should I build a big run and keep them chickens in there?

Thanks for your help!
:broodyhen: :chicks: :feed ducks: :iheartpto:

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Re: What to do if a raccoon tries to eat your chicken in the daytime?

Post by Killerbunny » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:15 pm

If it is out in daytime it likely isnn't well or it has kits. They do carry distemper so be careful with Otis. Do not relocate because that is illegal. It also may be a youngster looking for territory in which case shoot it and that should end the issue. We hve one at the moment around the coops at night so DH has wired the pop door with electric fence and a big poker to discourage it. I think @ross or @WLLady will be more help. Meantime watch the chickens!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Post by Jaye » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 pm

:iagree: with what @Killerbunny said. Also, check out electrified portable poultry fencing at Premier1. We finally bought their 100'L 48"H electrified netting fencing as well as corner posts, and we are now wondering why we waited so long. The chickens appreciate it too.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:35 pm

The raccoon was about half the size of a large adult and healthy looking. What happens in the winter with the poultry fencing? Wouldn't the frost get on it and make it collapse? Would it work with snow all around. Maybe only good for the summer?

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:38 pm

A coyote would just jump right over a 4 foot fence with sag it would be a 3.5 foot fence right?

ross
Teenaged Cockerel
Answers: 2

Post by ross » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:40 pm

SSS
ENJOY YOUR HUNTING / FISHING HERITAGE & the GREATNESS of CANADA

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:02 pm

what does SSS mean @ross? Also considering that raccoons are smart...I can see one jumping into the enclosure from a nearby tree...Tomorrow is another day! Thanks @Jaye @Killerbunny @ross

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:53 am

SSS means SHoot, SHovel, shut up! We used 2 rows of normal electric fence arounf the turkey paddock at night and found that everything ignores it. Not sure whether the poultry net would work? worth a try though. From your description sounds like an inexperienced youngster looking for new territory, I hope you manage to persuade it to go away!
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Post by WLLady » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 am

if it's a smaller than adult it's likely either last years turned loose by mom (runt of the litter from last year), young looking for food source. The other is malnourished because of a load of parasites-either worms or mange. In any event they're not welcome and honestly if you trap and relocate within the regulations it will be back the next day. So. I'm afraid anything that wanders into my barn/paddock and doesn't get scared the first time ends up trapped and disposed of via "lead poisoning". Now if the dog runs it off and it stays run off that's a different story....i let them be. Coons can carry distemper, rabies and a whole host of parasites you don't want/need.....and are particularly bad mix with horses. some people swear by running a radio-never worked worth beans for me.

no fence will stop a determined coyote except possibly an electric netting fence. In the winter the electrics work great, just need to make sure the snow pack doesn't make your fence "shorter" so they can jump it. I've had a coyote chew through 1/4 inch plywood to enter a coop in the winter. I've also had a dog chew through chicken wire fencing to get to birds. yes, it damaged the dog, but they got to the birds.

i would have to recommend either 1/4-1/2 inch hardware cloth for a fence, or electric poultry netting at least 4 feet high if you want to try to keep determined predators out. Remember coons and dogs will dig too to go under fences....
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

lolotsung
Free Ranging

Post by lolotsung » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:23 pm

:laugh: SSS
I should mention that I don't own a gun. The main reason being I wouldn't want to get shot while breaking into my own house one day. :lol:
I do own a crossbow.
I'm going to try non-lethal deterrents and if that doesn't work well SSS will be Option 2. I'm hoping I can convince the raccoon this is a terrible place to have chicken al fresco. If I'm lucky Otis may have already done this. :xfingers: :xfingers:

Return to “Around the Waterer”