Morels

General discussion forum.
Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Morels

Post by Ontario Chick » Wed May 12, 2021 4:46 pm

This is a morel alert, they were found by the pup, I am thinking about training her as a "mushroom" dog
I would have never noticed them, the only thing that normally grows in that area are ink heads , but she seemed to be very interested in something, so I went to check....
Morels, May 12, 2021.jpg

WLLady
Stringy Old Soup Pot Hen of a Moderator
Answers: 5

Re: Morels

Post by WLLady » Thu May 13, 2021 2:59 pm

we found 3 the other day.....yum!!
:giraffe: Pet quality wheaten/blue wheaten ameraucanas, welsummers, barred rocks, light brown leghorns; Projects on the go: rhodebars, welbars

thegawd
Head Cockerel-Moderator
Answers: 1

Post by thegawd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:58 pm

we found a few and so began a propagation experiment. we tried 3 slightly different methods. in 5 gallons of distilled water add 2 table spoons of molasses 1 tablespoon of table salt. some sort of hardwood Morales like, ash, apple, oak, maple, we used ash shavings, rotten maple and rotten oak. mixed with 1 emulsified mature morale. bubble for 24-48 hours and then spread in an area suitable for morales to grow which must contain hardwood, hardwood wood ash and hardwood charcoal, all this came from our firepit and our woodstove where we burn oak, ash and maple. perfect. now you wait 1-3 years.

So the thinking is all the spores have been trapped in the water when the morale was emulsified in a blender. while bubbling the spores attach to the wood floating around inside. the molasses feeds the mycelium of the spores early growth by being saturated into the wood. the salt keeps bad bacteria from growing while your bubbling for 24-48 hours. the other part is since this may take so long, the spores will stay dormant inside the wood with all the right ingredients to start life sometime in the future when the conditions are right.

or so I read. haha now we wait.
Al

Home Grown Poultry

Killerbunny
Poultry Guru - total zen level
Answers: 4

Post by Killerbunny » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:10 am

Hiya AL, hope it works out for you.
:iheartpto:
Beltsville Small White turkeys.
Mutt chickens for eggs
RIP Stephen the BSW Tom and my coffee companion.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave Splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.
:turkey:

:bat:

Return to “Around the Waterer”